We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

decision on timing

Bristol, Vermont
9 posts
Save Topic
decision on timing

Hi. We have been to STJ 5 times now. My husband just finished chemo and rads for cancer and instead of waiting till our planned trip in two summers, we decided to try to go this summer. Here's my dilemma....the villa we wanted is coconuts and is only available this summer 8/20 - Normally we go in June and have only had one bad weather year where is poured most of the days.....but we swam in ocean anyway and enjoyed ourselves. My hubby really needs some warmth and sun.....Here's another dilemma....I found tickets for under 400 each round trip for August....but more like $500 in June/July. Is the gamble worth it in August to get our ideal villa and great airfare rates or should I go in June and pay a little more and get a villa that's good enough but not the one we really want? HELP ME DECIDE PLEASE

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: decision on timing

I took my daughters in August and we had a wonderful time. Not as many places open, but we always found something.

If you can be flexible on villa, I'd certainly go as soon as he's ready to travel. Good luck.

Cheers, RickG

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
613 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: decision on timing

Book it in August. Life is short. We have gone in both June and October, and had far better weather in Oct than we did in June. The June trip is was quite rainy and we only saw the sun one or two days. Either way, you know you can't go wrong with St John. My only concern about August is many of the fine restraunts being shut down for holiday. We did get trip insurance for the October trip just incase a hurricane decided to rear its ugliness. With that being said, it sounds like you are going for the warm water and relaxation, so do it. That is my two cents,

Also, good thoughts to your husband.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: decision on timing

I have only gone once in August (in 20+yrs). We had great weather! Rained hard 2 nights during our stay, but our days were sunny & bright. It was definitely hotter in August than any of our trips in June. My vote is go in August and get the villa you want. The lower price on airfare is a bonus! But, buy travel insurance as August is the start of hurricane season.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: decision on timing

Go!!Life is short and sweet and years from now you can laugh at the chance you took but will relish the great time you had! Buy the insurance and GO!

Syracuse
Level Contributor
480 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: decision on timing

My vote is for June for the following reasons:

-you both need a vacation sooner, rather than later

-less chance of a tropical storm/hurricane in June vs August 20

-more restaurants open

-August is hotter

-cocounuts looks like a really nice villa, but there are lots of nice villas. If you like the Gifft hill area, there are other villas available (I've stayed at Plumeria on gifft hill and it was very nice)

-whichever you decide, you'll have a wonderful time

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: decision on timing

Been going for 9 years and I always go in August...enjoy! Hope your husband is feeling better.

I've never stayed @ Plumeria but was fortunate to attend a woman's gathering there a few years ago and the place is lovely.

Bristol, Vermont
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: decision on timing

Thanks everyone. I think we'll go in August...we always get cancel anytime trip insurance. Hopefully we can get a jeep rental....it's kind of late for that. deciding between coconuts, hale lani, belvedere, sundance and Elysium. The difference in my prices are about 700 so it makes it a tough decision. I love the restaurants there....but honestly, my hubby is recovering from throat cancer....so eating is a conscious decision about what he can swallow. so.....I'm not so concerned about the restaurants. my kids will eat anywhere there is pasta and chicken nuggets.....although I've been told by my son that woody's has the best nuggets he has ever tasted. I am sure piña coladas will go down very easy on the throat. More than anything we want sunshine and the ocean and to see the calm that takes over our kids.....my son bought the St John Beaches CD and watches it longingly. There is nothing like a good dose of STJ!

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
613 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: decision on timing

Perfect Baldwincreek. May you and your family find the peace of mind that St John brings to many of us!

9. Re: decision on timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:16