We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

So u guys helped me decide where to stay for my honeymoon and I chose Westin St. John, I ll be staying for a week there so i want u 2 tell me what is the best stuff to do on the island bearing in mind that i absolutely love snorkeling,

Also another question my plane will be arriving at 3:05 p.m. so what is the soonest ferry that i would be able to catch to Cruz Bay? and is the place where i take the ferry near the airport? and also is the place where the ferry drop us at Cruz Bay is near the Westin?

Appreciate your help.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
385 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

I would not worry about the ferry times, every time I arrived at the Ferry Station, one shortly left for STJ. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the Westin from the ferry. I would embrace the word linger...its a small tropical paradise and not to be rushed. I would not hang around the Westin too much, get in your Jeep (you rented one right?) and let the day evolve. You don't need us to tell you what to do, let St. John. You are already there, and that is the answer. :)

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

First, I can't believe you are asking for advice on what to do on your honeymoon :) Second, the whole island is great for snorkeling - there are many posts about what beaches are best - search thru the forum. My wife and I come every year, and we snorkel once or twice per day. As for getting to the Westin, there are several options. The Westin runs it's own private ferry for guests. You meet Westin representatives at the airport and they drive you to the ferry and it drops you off at the hotel. Same on the return trip. It sounds like it's expensive (I think around $65/person last time I looked), but when you add up taxi fees and ferry fees, it is pretty much a break-even proposition. The alternative if to take a taxi to Red Hook and a ferry over to St John, with a $5 per person cab ride to the Westin from there. Assuming that you want to snorkel a lot, you will want to rent a car. Again, there are several options for doing that - you can rent on St John, or you can rent on St Thomas and take the Car Barge over. There are different schools of thought on what is better, but it comes down to personal preference. Again, take a look thru the posts on the forum.

If it's me on my honeymoon, I'd take the Westin Ferry option and rent a car on St John. I haven't rented thru the Westin, so cant give you advice on that, but there are many options for renting yourself. I'd probably do that.

Sorry not to be real specific about some things to do on the island, but there is so much that you could go on for hours. This forum is a great way to get information. read some posts, especially the trip reports and then ask specific questions when you want more information. Good luck and you'll have a blast

Colin

Germantown, MD
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

The Westin is nice and I am sure you will like it. You can easily walk around Cruz Bay in a few hours. Pick-up the US National Park foldout map which is free at the park service building and find the snorkeling locations and trails to hike. Put all your snorkel equipment in your rental car each day and explore the entire island. The north shore beaches are great but drive to the east end and to the south shore beaches of Salt Pond and Little Lameshur. You won't be able to do it all in one trip to St. John, thats why most people come back.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

I really enjoyed hiking and snorkeling with my travel partner and soaking up the sights and sounds of st john. The trees, the wildlife, everything. Everything seems to magically take shape when you are there and you leave with an experience of a lifetime! Just try a different beach every day and explore!! Explore as much as you can!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
600 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

When it comes to St. John - for us, it's all about the beaches. I wouldn't try and plan an itinerary for yourselves, as a previous poster mentioned, let the island decide for you. Between afternoon showers you may encounter (which really aren't a big deal, and pretty common everywhere in the Caribbean) and where the sun is, your plans can change on a dime. Are you planning on renting a vehicle? We wake up every morning, and while we're sitting on our balcony drinking coffee - we bust out the map, trip advisor or whatever book I happened to grab - and plan out our day...with a couple of contingency stops in mind. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite days:

-(4 Wheel Drive is a must for this first one, and you won't get there by way of cab.) Drive all the way out to Little Lameshur Bay. Hike some of the trails or explore the ruins. Go for a swim/snorkel. After a couple of hours, head to Great Lameshur Bay (It's a cobblestone beach - no sand, so be prepared). Again, do some snorkeling or hiking. Pack up around lunch time and head to The Tourist Trap for lunch. Order the pulled pork nachos, lobster rolls, fish tacos - or just about anything on the menu - it's all wonderful. This is a great opportunity to visit with fellow visitors and island residents. If you're ready to relax, head to the North Shore - spend the afternoon on Cinnamon lounging and playing in the water. If relaxation isn't on the agenda - stop by Salt Pond for another snorkel or hike.

-Spend a day on the water! Whether it's a private charter or not, even sailing around St. John and snorkeling some remote spots is a great way to see the island from another view.

-If this is a once in a lifetime trip for you - consider a day trip to The Baths in the BVI, or over to White Bay. If you think you'll be back - save that BVI trip for the future.

-(Again, you need a car for this one.) Pack a lunch. Early in the morning, drive out to the Annaberg Ruins. Spend the morning hiking/walking and exploring the ruins. Hike down the Leinster Bay trail (along the water) to Leinster Bay/Watermelon Cay for a late morning snorkel. (IMHO, this is some of the best snorkeling on the island. We've snorkeled from shore and we've been on a day sail that moored further out, snorkeling from the boat. (Please head the advice of anyone who warns you about the difficulty of this snorkel and the strength of the currents.) Pack up around lunch time and head over to Francis or Maho for an afternoon snorkel/swim.

-Taxi into town. Stop at Deli Groto for a sandwich, some salad and a couple of treats. Walk over to the NPS visitors center, grab a map, visit - check out the Park offerings. Hike the Lindpoint trail to Solomon Beach. Spend the morning lounging/snorkeling around the shoreline. When you've had enough of Solomon, head back to the Lindpoint trail and continue on to Honeymoon Beach. Snorkel the left side of the shore, around the reef. Swim, soak up some sun. Visit the Virgin Island Eco Tours hut - rent a paddle board. Don't lose track of time (which is really easy to do here!!) - you still have to hike back!

An alternative to the above day: Head over to Caneel, via taxi or rental car. Walk the easy golf cart trail to Honeymoon beach. When you've had enough of Honeymoon, take the Lindpoint Trail over to Solomon. Head back to Caneel and have lunch. Or (at least when we were there in November) - order it from the beach. If you go to the Eco Tours Hut - they have a Menu for Caneels beach bar. We were able to order food right there, and they brought it down to us. It's like room service for the beach!

We've been many times - and over the years, these have become my repeatable days. :) Happy planning and congratulations!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

I would reconsider your accomodations at the Westin. It's not a good honeymoon spot. It caters more to families. Lots of kids and activity going on, not very romantic. I had friend who honeymooned there and they preferred Caneel after experiencing the Westin.

If I were you, I'd spend my money on a villa or Caneel.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

As far as stuff to do, I would go somewhere like Maho or Hawksnest Bay to start out. They both have easy access to descent snorkeling. If you can do those, I would go to Salt Pond Bay and Haulover South. Both of these are fun, and slightly challenging.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 21:51
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

Don't forget to rent you vehicle now.

Pia

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

I'm going in the 15th of May, shall i rent a car from now?, and is the parking for free?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best stuff to do on the island for my honeymoon

Yes, rent your vehicle now. Parking is free with the exception of one or two lots where you could pay to park for convenience only. Many of the rental places allow you to park in their lot. The public parking lots are free parking.