We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John in Nov

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
99 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
St John in Nov

Hi We are thinking of visiting St John the beginning of Nov. What is the weather like then? Is the island really quiet? I know it will still be low season but hope there is some stuff open and going on. ( restaurants open and some live music) We aren't looking for alot, just relaxing will be great. Also does anyone have any thoughts on the villa Bay Rum Breezes, it's in Mamey Peak? It looks really nice. Thanks for the help

St. John
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St John in Nov

One of the wonderful things about St John is that the weather is wonderful year round! Yes, it is a bit more humid in the summer and yes the chance of rain is a bit more in the fall as this chart shows greatexpectationsusvi.com/st-john-usvi/weath… ; however, the temperature averages 85 year round! November is still hurricane season (which ends November 30th), but it is after the peak for that part of the Caribbean. I suggest getting travel insurance (at any time of year) for peace of mind. Bottom line (for me, at least) is that November can be a great time to be on St John.

OK
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St John in Nov

Our first visit was this past November 2-9. I agree regarding trip insurance. Lately, tropical systems have been more frequent towards the end of the hurricane season for St. John. And remember, a villa owner will shutter their villa if a tropical storm is headed for the island. We had no issues though and the weather was perfect; a shower here and there with warm temps. Water was a very refreshing temperature. Regarding the restaurants, most will be open and the beaches will have just the right amount of people, not too crowded.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John in Nov

I spent 10 days in neighboring St T this past November and I believe I have a new favorite time of year to visit; not that I've ever discovered a least favorite time.

Average high-low temps drop 2-3 degrees from their summertime highs of (87-73 vs 89-76) which I appreciate especially at night because I don't care to use A/C

I also appreciated the warmer sea temps which only range from 83-79. Fall is warmer warmer than the winter and early spring. Swimming pools too can be a little chilly in the winter especially if they catch a steady breeze. They can get uncomfortably warm in the summer. I may sound like Goldilocks tasting porridge but in the spring and fall It's just right.

Best part I enjoyed the general feel. A lot of seasonal workers use the peak part of hurricane season as their down time, many leave on vacation. By November most have returned and they are relaxed and refreshed. There no big pre-season anxiousness, high-season hub-bub or low-season let down. Everyone just seemed to be going in a live and let live state of mind. The big surprise was how empty the stores were since the tourists hadn't arrived yet and much of the local population was holding back their shopping in anticipation of Black Friday.

Right now I am still keeping my fingers crossed that I can find the opportunity to make a return visit this November.

Pa
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John in Nov

We visited St John the first week of Dec 2012, it was perfect. The weather was fanstastic, high 80's, light breeze some days, the water temps were refreshing, beaches were not crowded at all and overall it was not to crowded. We found from conversations with many people that we met that November is how everyone here has described, some told us that some resturants don't open until later in November. We plan on returning again in December of 2014

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St John in Nov

HAve been to St John the past 5 falls. Went in early/mid Nov. 2008, 2009, and 2010. 2010 was very, very wet, so for the past 2 years, we slightly delayed our travels until the first week of December. Much better the past 2 years (especially Dec. 1-9, 2012!), while still enjoying the shoulder season rates (i.e. at Gallows Point).

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St John in Nov

I have been to St. John several times in the late October/early November timeframe and it is a beautiful time! Yes, we've had rain some days, but nothing to stop the fun. The last 3 or so years we have moved our trip to later in November - usually around the Thanksgiving Holiday and it is a little busier - especially Thanksgiving week. For the early November timeframe, although a few restaurants might be closed there are many that are open. The water is warm that time of year (at least more warm than in the February/March timeframe). I'm sure you'll have a great time!

7. Re: St John in Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 07:19