We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Lewis Cen
2 posts
Save Topic
Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Hello! My husband & I are traveling to St John with our 15 month old son & we're looking for Full Time Child Care during the 5 days we are there. (Ideally in our rental home).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

There's no official child care business on island - but your property manager should be able to find you some help. I've never heard of anyone doing this. Island Baby, the rental business, may have some ideas. Your best place to look is your vacation villa management.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 21:42
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Bring someone with you or leave baby at home with grandparents (if available) :) No full time "nanny" on St John that I know of that would be available everyday for 5 days - most babysitters that offer babysitting services work at least one other job and would do this in the evenings to allow parents to go out for a special dinner/evening on their own

Pia

Edited: 20 April 2013, 22:32
United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Pia is correct, but I still think you may be able to get someone for at least the evenings so you can go out. I know housekeepers who need extra money and babysit for the villas they work for. Contact your property manager -

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

If you are wanting full time childcare, I highly suggest you bring someone with you. Daycare can be tricky enough for full time residents. It's a little easier to find something like this in the summer time when the students are not in school and looking for summer work. I do know some girls that would be able to help you after school and on the weekends. Asking your villa management company for some recommendations is a great idea as well.

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Bringing someone with you would probably be cheaper too. Housekeepers, for example, earn from 20-30 an hour...Maybe you could barter with someone - we will pay your airfare, you work 8 hours a day, get to see st john.

In my short stint as a property manager I was able to provide babysitters to several families. Ask your property manager!!!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

If there's someone at home to care for your child, I would suggest you leave them home. I learned something 33 years ago, and I don't mean this in a bad way, you need time to yourselves. Take advantage of the time that you'll have together and enjoy one of the most beautiful islands you will ever see. When your child is older and able to enjoy it with you, bring them.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Check with Christy's of St. John. http://www.christysofstjohn.com/

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

Rosemary - I am having a little trouble with my connection so I could not PM you for some reason. Please PM back to continue our conversation as I now known availability.

Windham, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

I believe islandbabyvi,com can address most of your needs.

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
315 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Child Care options for May 21 thru May 25

I had to respond to this topic because there is now the perfect solution for people who want babysitting services while they are on the island. Leslie McKibben, a physical therapist who now lives on St John is running a service called "Kids Night In" service where she comes to your villa and stays with your children while you take a boat ride, spend the day at the beach, or just want to go out for a nice evening. THANK GOD WE FINALLY HAVE A SOLUTION!! I believe she has a facebook page - KIDS NIGHT in Babysitting. She loves children and you will love her!