We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cohasset, ma
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

We usually stay in Cruz Bay (last four years), but found villa casa luna to accommodate two families and am wondering if we will feel too far away from things. I think it will be nice to be near Coral Bay and the north shore beaches, but am wondering if we will miss being near Cruz Bay. Is it really far from things? Any insight on the area? Thanks!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

We just stayed in Coral Bay with two teens. We went to Cruz Bay once and that was more than enough for our family. There are several restaurant choices in Coral Bay.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

I have done both.I think it all depends on what you want to do at night. If you enjoy going out most nights then your too far out because the options are very limited in Coral Bay.

Germantown, MD
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

All you can do is "try it on for size" shall we say. I doubt you will end up missing Cruz Bay much unless you like the many choices of places to eat, most within walking distance. The drive into Cruz Bay isn't that bad. Still there will be enough places to choose from to eat in "downtown" Coral Bay in addition to Shipwrek Landing and Concordia. You will be much closer to Salt Pond, Little Lameshur, the East End beaches and hiking trails. You will actually be in a much better location to take advantage of all that St. John has to offer without the parking issues. My wife and I actually prefer the views towards the BVI better than towards St. Thomas. We have stayed at Casa Luna and you have made a good choice. Nice views on both sides of the house. Plenty of room. The pool was cold but that is nothing new on St. John. You will have to decide for yourself. It is hard to go wrong on St. John no matter where you stay.

cohasset, ma
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

So helpful - thanks. I think I would be excited to try another part of the island.

Is the house pretty close to the North shore beaches?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

Casa Luna is on my short list for the next time we return with a group. For me, the views in this area are fantastic. That's one of my favorite things about St. John - the views! You are ten minutes from Coral Bay and the various restaurants there; 15 minutes max to the north shore beaches (Maho is closest and my favorite). We prefer the quiet and seclusion you get from this area. There are still plenty of other villas but you do have a nice sense of being away from it all.

We've stayed all over the island (Fish Bay, Cruz Bay, Bordeaux Mountain and Coral Bay). We personally prefer the Coral Bay/Bordeaux area for it's serenity and beautiful views.

ENJOY!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

If the VRBO map is correct, it looks like the house is quite close to Centerline, which is a very central location. You won't really be "closer to the North Shore beaches" because of the way the roads run, but you will be closer to DIFFERENT beaches. Suddenly your favorite beach will be Francis or Maho instead of Trunk or Hawksnest. It will seem a lot easier to drive out to the East End, or check out Salt Pond. You can still drive to Cruz Bay easily enough for groceries or restaurants, but can just as easily go the other way to Coral Bay. You'll probably be less likely to spend late nights in town, but possibly more likely to just hang out in your villa enjoying the fabulous view. You'll have a wonderful vacation, just a little bit different than the last ones. I look forward to your trip report. ;-)

7. Re: Carolina ridge -- too isolated?(Villa Casa Luna)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 05:16