We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposing in St. John!!!

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Proposing in St. John!!!

I'll be in St. Jon in about a month and considering proposing there... Before making any final decisions, I wanted to bring this to the forum. Here are my questions, but any advice/tips will help:

1) What are some of the most romantic places on the island? I'd like to do it around sunset time...

2) What is the fanciest/nicest restaurant to go to after for a nice dinner meal/celebration.

Thanks all!

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
576 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Sunset is a perfect time to propose! We got engaged on our first trip to St John.

1) Any Beach with a Westward view

2) We love Zozo's on all prior trips, but we ate at the Sugar Mill (on the Caneel property) last week and absolutely loved the romance, food, and service.

Perhaps a sunset cocktail, with proposal at Asolare (if you could work out with them) and then dinner at Zozo's or the Sugar Mill. Asolare has "seatings" for dinner, so not sure they would go for this, but the view at sunset is killer, and their bar is small and intimate.

Another thought would be a sunset sail on Kekoa for your proposal. Then dinner, allowing for the moment to last a little bit longer. Enjoy, and congrats!

Edited: 30 April 2013, 20:48
54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
586 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Congrats!!!

1) In regards to location...I think the best spots would be those that afford you a breathtaking view while giving you at least a good chance of being alone....I'd suggest:

- Peace Hill at dusk - it's located high up between Hawksnest and Trunk Bays...the outcropping is a quick 3 to 4 minute hike up from the little parking area...we've been many times when we were the only ones there...it has a neat windmill ruin and large outcropping that they mow...wide panoramic views.

- Edge of Ram Head at dawn - Hey, nothing says "take the plunge with me" like standing on top of an overlook with 100 foot cliffs on 3 sides...it does require a 3 mile round trip hike from the Salt Pond Bay parking lot though....and don't automatically discount proposing early in the morning...they never see it coming.

- Charter a sunset cruise for two (you can run a search on the forum, lots of options there and if you tell the captain what you're up to, I'm sure they can think of cool place to do it and have bubbly ready to go)

- Gibney Beach at dusk - There's a gate just past Hawksnest on Northshore road with about 3 parking places...the area behind the beach is private and there are villas there, but there is public access to the beach...it's beautiful and you'll likely be one of the few on the beach...just make sure you bring the mosquito spray.

Hope that helps...best of luck and congrats again.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Aw, how romantic.

But just a tip that you may not know - the tiny biting flies tend to come out at dusk on St. John beaches. If you're both dancing around slapping at no-see-ums, the romantic quality of your proposal may be affected. You might want to pick a different time of day or some of the ideas @54b suggested - a cliff-top or a sunset cruise.

Peace Hill sounds lovely (never been there). The Annaberg Plantation Ruins are also beautiful and romantic any time of day with a great view of Tortolla.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Watch out for the mosquitoes.noseeums on the beach around sunset. Honeymoon beach seems logical, but really anyplace is fine. The best food.wine on island can be found at La Tapa. Asolare at sunset may be more romantic, but the food is a notch down from La Tapa. Good luck.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

I like the peace hill idea because, like others said, it can get buggy at dusk on a beach. They also have sunset seating reservations at zozo's at 5:30 but I would definately call a few weeks ahead if you can. And if you tell them your plans they will help you out. Very friendly staff!. And the view is to die for. You can look it up on the forum. And congratulations!!

Edited: 01 May 2013, 00:23
Jericho, Vermont
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

You can also hike to Ram's head for sunset - the wind helps keep the bugs away and it is beautiful there! Just make sure to bring a flashlight for the walk back. Depending on your travel dates, you might be able to propose at sunset and then stay for the full moon! I believe the full moon is May 25...

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

All of St John is romantic.

Where will you be staying? What do you most look forward to doing?

A few more details about your trip might give us more specific ideas.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Thank you guys. We are staying at Treetops. It's the beginning of a 2 week island hopping trip around the Virgin Islands... I just spoke with Hank - the owner at Treetops, and he said he would take us both out around sunset so I could pop the question in a really nice, secluded spot... I think this is my best bet. After that, I made a reservation at zozo's, which a lot of people seem to be recommending. Wish me luck!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

Dave A - I know Capt. Hank. Finding the right spot for your proposal is a challenge he will enjoy. Hank will make sure that all goes well (at least in terms of the location). Congratulations in advance!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
347 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposing in St. John!!!

What a wonderful thread!

Our son in law proposed our daughter five years ago on honeymoon beach because that was her favorite beach. They then came back to our villa so we could all celebrate together. Sorry to day only restaurant that was open after that was zozo's!! Only one couple had reservations there. The rest of us were hungrey till next morning, but we were all sooo happy!

They were married and now have a beautiful family!!

I hope the same happiness for you!

We will be on island the same time you propose. We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary!

Happiness to you!