We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mansfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report

Just returned a few days ago from our 13 day stay on St. John. Had no issues with flights coming or going-US Airways-(can you believe it)? We rented vehicles and explored the entire island. For a thrill, take Route108 from down by Love City and drive up the mountain. What incredible views! If you don’t want the thrill, take 108 from TUTU’s silver and take the easy way!

Car Rental

St John Car Rental: can’t say enough good things about the customer service and vehicle! Outstanding!

Places we stayed

Kachira, Pastory Garden, Cruz Bay (4 nights just hubby and myself): Nice little condo in a good location and great price

Estate Fortsberg- Coral Bay-Windspree Vacation Rental (9 night stay-we were joined by 3 other couples –all family): WOW what a GREAT villa with amazing views. Everything was top notch and very very well maintained. Everything we needed was supplied. The beds were so comfortable and each bedroom was separate from the main part of the villa. The outdoor showers were amazing! Great outdoor space with pool and hot tub. If you’re looking for a 4 bedroom in Coral Bay, check this place out! The old fort is above the villa and the battory with the cannons still intact are below the villa. Neat piece of history with easy access

Beaches we visited:

The usual suspects-Cinnamon, Trunk, Hawksnest, Maho-my favorite-Jumbie, Salt Pond, Francis, Leinister-Waterlemon-good snorkeling and Haulover

Place we ate:

Candies Delight-Cruz Bay-great food and lots of it at an unbelievable low price!

Driftwood Davids:-Cruz Bay-again, great food

Aqua Bistro-wasn’t impressed

Miss Lucy’s-loved it! Full moon party with Reggae Express playing-love this band, and a wedding took place-so cool!

Skinny Leggs-loved it

Tourist Trap-loved it

Sputnik (beside the Donkey Dinner_-Ju Ju fixed us a special meal!

Shipwreck Landing-worst meal and service we had, sorry

Vie’s-went two times and both times she was closed, what a bummer!

Side trips:

Bad Kitty- not my cup of tea being herded like a bunch of cows, but I really wanted to see Cooper Island Beach Club, so I paid the price. Lunch here was OK, conch fritters were really good, hamburger was dried out and burnt. Also went to the Baths, which we had already saw twice and Jost Van Dyke. Had a good time with Foxy, boy that FireWater Rum is really HOT! Extremely disappointed with White Bay, so many boats and dinghies right up to the beach.

Ocean Runners-this is the way to go, rented a boat and captain for the day and went to Norman and had lunch, snorkeling at the Bight was very good, Willie-T, and Jost again. Way way better than Bad Kitty-lesson learned

This was the first time we stayed in Coral Bay and we all loved it. The peace and quiet was wonderful. The drive to all the North Shore beaches was very simple-just take the turn by the smoothie stand. The drive to Cruz Bay wasn’t bad at all, although we didn’t need to go very often.

Overall we had an outstanding trip with beautiful weather.

Thanks to all of you for answering the questions I posted prior to my trip!

Denise

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the TR...the reactions to White Bay on Jost are always interesting to me. How much did you know about it before you went?

When I try to describe it to people who've never been, I liken it to a tailgate party on Pleasure Island (Pinocchio) while a music video is being shot. Where as the beaches on STJ are typically peaceful and quiet, White Bay around 3pm is like an exercise in sensory overload.

I love it, love the people watching and find that the more people that are there, the bigger and more energetic the party...though if the wait for a painkiller is over 5 minutes, that can be a bummer.

To each his own I guess.

Sorry to hear that Shipwreck disappointed too...that's one of few STJ restaurants we consider "can't miss."

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

We felt the same about Bad Kitty, we wanted to see the Baths, but I felt very rushed through them, we did this about 3 trips ago. I've had lunch several times on Cooper, found it to always be fairly decent.

We've also rented the Ocean Runner and I have to agree that's the way to go to really enjoy the different islands at your own pace. We are fortunate that our friends that live on island purchased a boat a few years back so now we get to go with them when we are there.

We also love Foxy's, we had painkillers and appetizers there last summer then headed over to Taboo for lunch after stopping at Sandy Spit.

We also stop @ Pusser's and usually Soggy Dollar is our last stop which is always a lot of fun.

I can't wait, be there 8/14...

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Sounds great. This year we finally did try Aua Bisto and really liked it but agree with Shipwreck Lnding. Very unfriendly bartenders and servers!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report! I wanna try the tourist trap this year. My friend and I will actually have our own Jeep this years. Ive seen a few videos of White Bay and it looks like a big party to me, so I think it helps knowing that going in. Otherwise its probably beautiful early in the morning when not too many people are around?

We are going to check out coral bay too any restraurants you can recommend on that side? and where is the tourist trap? up on a hill or something? We went to island blues last year but just had some onion rings (that were very good)

MA
Level Contributor
740 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Denise ~ Thanks for sharing such great detail. If we ever do stay over in Coral Bay Estate Fortsberg is on our short list. Yes, love Miss Lucy's.

6. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:16