We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
691 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

Just curious........how many of you tip the cleaning people who clean your room/villa while staying at a hotel or at a Villa?

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

I always tip when I stay at Gallows Point

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

If you are staying in a villa, they don't clean until you leave. They don't come everyday or even mid-week unless you pay for it. When we rent for 10 or more days, we have been offered mid-stay housekeeping. We always decline because we don't need it. We have a washer & dryer if we want to wash our towels or sheets. We're grown-ups and can take care of ourselves. We rinse everything off outside to get rid of the sand. Even then we usaully don't take our beach stuff into the house (keeps the no-see-ums out). We don't like having other people in "our" house while we are on vacation unless there is a maintinance issue (which is rare in our many trips, but it can happen). We always have a noon+/- flight out of STT, so I always wash/dry & fold all the beach towels the night before so that is already done for the housekeepers.

I know many people like to get up early (dawn) & hit one more beach on their last day, but that just isn't us. We have to be out of the villa & return the jeep by 10am, so we pack most of our stuff the night before. I don't like taking wet stuff home if I can help it, but it does happen (so make sure you take kitchen trash bags to pack the wet stuff in). We make breakfast, enjoy our last morning on the deck, plan our next trip and are on the 10am ferry.

So, NO, I don't tip the housekeeping people. Are you aware that you have to take your own trash to the dumpster everyday and the day you leave? If you don't take it everyday you will have lots of ants. That's just the way it is, I don't care where you stay. Take lots of Ziplock bags to keep all your snacks once opened, & put them in the refrig or microwave to store them.

Have a wonderful trip!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

I always tip hotel cleaners/ housekeeping wherever we go..I also confess to making sure the room and bathroom is neat and tidy before we leave each day :) it drives my husband MAD!

I did an internship at a UK based hotel chain ( many moons ago, in my youth) and I can tell you in all honesty that room cleaning is hard work!

Leave them a tip, it will brighten their day.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

I always tip in hotels and have never thought to tip at the villas for some reason, don't know why! I am interested to see what others post... :S

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

We always do.

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

We have a mid-week cleaning and I leave $20 for the cleaning lady. I generally strip the bed and begin the washer for her (cause I own a cleaning business), and I know the work is difficult.

I always clean up any breakfast dishes before she arrives (around 10am) and we leave the villa so she can get her work completed.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
602 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

We too always strip our bed, put all the dirty towels and linens in the bathroom floor. (We don't stay anywhere with a washer/dryer.) Empty all our trash and take to the dumpsters. I even broom sweep. We tip $10 - $20 when we leave - depending on the length of our stay.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

We always go for 2 weeks so, yes, I always tip the cleaning ladies. If it's just the two if us I tip $20. If it's more than just us I tip $20 plus $10/per bedroom over the first one used.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
691 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

I am happy to get these responses! We always tip the cleaning people at any accommodations we stay at. Typically it will be $20 for one week, or $5 for a day. And, we do tidy up before we leave as well! But this conversation came up recently with some other people, and I was surprised to find out how many people do not tip. That is why this forum is so helpful.

Thanks all!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do You Tip the Cleaning People?

We always tip. We get a mid-stay and are happy to have someone else change the beds, put up fresh towels, and clean the kitchen and floors. We try to start a load of beach towels and get them into the dryer before we leave for the airport, though, as they take the longest to dry and we make sure that any wet towels are hung up so as not to create mildew if housekeeping does not come in right away. We load and run the dishwasher. We leave a note to let housekeeping know that the beach towels are clean - not just in the dryer to dry out.