We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast at Caneel???

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast at Caneel???

On the website the package with breakfast is en extra 64 dollars per person. Seems steep but not knowing breakfast pricing maybe its not. IS that worth it or way too high? We don't need a fancy hot breakfast every morning, were happy with a granola bar or cereal and fruit. But if basic breakfast is about same price we would probably fill up on breakfast and skip lunch. Also what is dinner cost for two at Caneel( one app, two entrees, one desert and a few drinks)?

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

I'm not sure what packages you may be looking at but usually the B&B package is one of the least expensive options, along with More Rosewood. The breakfast buffet is 32/person, so the 64 is what it would cost you per couple. If you need clarification on rates, it's always best to call Rosewood, or call Caneel directly.

There is a complimentary early risers continental breakfast which is pastries, coffee, juice. The breakfast buffet is extensive, with eggs cooked to order as well as pancakes, waffles, a daily chef's special, hot sides, fruit, pastries, cereal and it 's really good. We have found that we eat a big breakfast, skip lunch and have a smallish dinner, most of the time. Food at the restaurants on Caneel is pricy but basically in the same ball park as the better restaurants in Cruz Bay -- we paid about the same bill at The Sugar Mill, ZoZos and Morgan's Mango. I would guess that the dinner you describe would be about $80 at the Beach Bar and with more elaborate entrees would be $120 at The Sugar Mill (with tip).

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

The Breakfast package is a good deal. There is also a cold breakfast option that lies somewhere in the twenty something dollar range.

Tip: Book through and with your United Mileage Card,I assume an EWR departure (premier hotels or some such, it's on the United site). Same room rate as the Caneel site and breakfast is included. Amex platinum offers the same. Others also. One level upgrades if available also.

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

I was just looking on there website at prices and the Breakfast included was $512 a night which seems expensive. But may just be expensive to us relative to what we make if that makes more sense of it. Does that seem fair or high? That was the lowest category room as well for the first week in December. The dinners you describe at the end of your post are reasonable for dinner.

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

I just got back from Caneel and the dinner you are describing in the beach bar would be more than $80. Apps were about $18 and entrees $32 to $35. Frozen drinks are $10. Burger and sandwiches were $18. I did not go to the Sugar Mill so cannot comment on the prices there.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

Last year (Jan 2013) the B&B rate was about 50 bucks higher for each room cat. A little cheaper than booking w/o breakfast and paying for breakfast on your own.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

The difference between rack rate and B&B rate is 46 dollars in January and 52 dollars in pre-xmas December

That is per room.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 05:06
Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

Ok. Just wanted to make sure it was fair. I guess we will go for it being that breakfast is pricey either way.

Boston
Level Contributor
72 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

Caneel is a great place-- we've been three times--However-- enough was enough price- wise. We have now rented a hillside villa for about 10 years and can stay at the villa for two weeks-with jeep rental , groceries and of course plenty of rum--- and pay less than a week at Caneel with food/booze

Their breakfast buffet is great but not $64 per person great....

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

Checking receipts

Chicken quesadilla 16 (listed as appetizer, could be lunch for 2)

Chicken wings 13

Capreses Salad 14

Hummus 14

Pizza 24 (large pizza -- could be for 2)

Fish and Chips 26

Specials of the Day --Appetizer 18 (I think it was shrimp something)

Pasta of the day 33

Not sure about the sushi prices

I think the burger was 18 as stated.

Frozen drinks are 10, actually most mixed drinks are 10.

Wine list is actually a bit less expensive than some places in Cruz Bay. (Same wine 40 at Caneel, 42 in town)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast at Caneel???

Breakfast is $32 pp and the selection of hot and cold items is massive. We are big breakfast eaters so the price doesn't bother me too much. A piece of fruit and cup of coffee type of eater will likely find the cost excessive.

In February, we thought the sushi was excellent. I can't remember the price but for the quality and serving size (very generous) we thought it was a good value.