We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early June?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in early June?

Hey forum, forecast right now shows nothing but rain... Does this mean the sun is rarely coming out? I'm going to be there in about 10 days and I'm a bit nervous because I was hoping for nothing but sunshine. Thoughts?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in early June?

What forecast, what "nothing but rain"? Get your nose out of the forecasts and concentrate on packing the sunscreen.

St. John USVI
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in early June?

The forecast here is always heavily weighed towards the side of rain. We don't understand how tourist boards stand by and watch this go on but it does on a continuous basis. It is understandable that tourists get alarmed at the commonly called for 60% chance of rain. In the states that forecast means you can expect it to rain 60% of the day. Here though a translation is in order. It means that there is a 60% chance that you will get a sprinkle or two that may last 5 minutes each.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
281 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in early June?

I went same time last year, and am going same time this year. It said rain every day and I was all like "omg rain...what am i gonna do wah wah wah" but then I realized that it isn't like the states, like the above said, in fact it was searing sun all day with some occasional clouds that would pass by and if you were lucky one would contain a cooling shower.

Also, like Stt said....pack LOTS and LOTS of sunscreen. The sun is especially potent in June, way hotter than any sun I have ever felt. We went through tubes and tubes of it.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
234 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in early June?

We have ALWAYS gone the first two weeks of June. I can't remember a time that we had a rain-out, on any of those days.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in early June?

Haha thanks guys! Few!!!

Audubon...
Level Contributor
248 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in early June?

I saw the same forecast before we went last year and we did actually have a pretty cloudy week, but no rain except a sprinkle one morning before 9am. The clouds didn't end up bothering me, they didn't make for great pictures, but they did keep the hot sun from frying me which was kind of nice. I am hoping for more sun this year, I'm going the first week of June as well. But now I know if there are clouds, it's still beautiful, and hot, and it doesn't mean rain by any means! Have fun!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in early June?

If it does rain head over the hill to the other side of the island....it will usually be dry.

Mike in Tulsa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in early June?

I hope it's not cloudy the entire time : / what time of year did you go?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in early June?

dlevy: It makes no difference what time of year the poster who mentioned a cloudy week happened to be here. That anomaly can happen at any time of the year - and it IS an anomaly, as is more than two straight days of unending rain. Relax, concentrate on how high SPF sunscreen you should bring with you and, if you've packed more than a carry-on, throw out all those extra clothes as you won't wear them anyway!

Houston
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in early June?

We will be there in 3.5 weeks...our 4th trip in June over the past five years. Will it rain while you are on island...yes. Are you likely to have even one full washout day...no. Might it be cloudy some days...yep. Are you still likely to have dun and get sunburned on those same days.... Yes again.

Take a deep breath, relax and practice a little i'lon time. Also, take about half those clothes out of your bag!