We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
646 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

We are planning on spending the week before Easter on St John next year (I live for vacation planning, what can I say??) The flights opened up at $680 and they seem to be filling up fast at that rate. It seems pretty high to me though. I paid $490 over President's week last year.

Just wondering if any frequent travelers to STT could comment on whether they may go down (they just opened up a few days ago for booking.) I know there is no crystal ball, just wanted to check in with those of you who have more experience.

Thanks so much!

Chapin
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

Hi TravelbuffNJ,

We booked with Spriit Air in April. You have to take them for what thet are, a no frills airline. We paid $2000.00. for four adults. We are flying in what they so call 1st class. haha, just bigger seats. This included all luggage fees and taxes. I do not have the art of treveling lite, (LoL) so I paid for 6 bags and 3 carryons. We do not live near a large city and luckily Spirit flys from Myrtle Beach, SC. and we have a place to stay prior to departing.

I just got a fare change alert and the flight is booking at 778 pp, not including fees and taxes. We are traveling in June. I used a fare watcher from the sitesTripadvisor and Kayak. They alered my email everytime the air went up and down. Like you say there is no cyrstal ball for booking, but I watched the trends and how booked the flight was.

We are also traveling on off days, depart on a Monday and returning on a Thurs,. This really helped b/c they are some of the least traveled days. It really helps if you can be flexible, but most can't

So after all the rambling, I would be alerted to all fare chages, look at muliple airports if you can, and take a stab that you will get the best rate!

In the end, anytime you can get to STJ or STT the money is well spent.

Best Of Luck,

Cyndee

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

Shop for tickets closer to your traveling date, shop late Tuesday into Wednesday for best prices and ignore how many seats are left. Travel agents (as well as the airlines themselves), book blocks of seats. Then they are released back into the system.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

Normally I would say buy early but this is too early. When flights are first released they are pretty high. You have plenty of time. This is considered spring break season so expect to pay significantly more than you are used to. Go to Kayak and run a fare alert where they email you the fares everyday watch for a month or 2 and see what they do. This goes for the normal carries. Spirit is anything but that.

B.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

With Easter occurring on April 20, 2014, the weeks coincide with many school vacations in New Jersey, even in those districts that do not normally link vacation to Easter. I would expect demand to go up. If you see a deal, snag it.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

I definitely see the trend going higher. I booked flights from New England for less than $500 for years, and last year I paid $550. I just looked and it looks more like $590.00 and still going up. I don't know if this is a permanent trend or just the response to higher fuel prices.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

I would wait...for easter/spring break, we usually buy in nov/dec. Also, look at leaving out of JFK instead of EWR. You might get a better deal.

Helen

edit: I looked on Kayak.com and checked the week before easter (i did leaving thurs 4/10 and coming home fri 4/18) out of JFK and got for the nonstop flights on AA $513 pp round trip. For that price, I would book that especially for high season around spring break.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 03:31
7. Re: Flights from NJ Easter week 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17