We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

New Jersey
Level Contributor
217 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

Just my thoughts about the villa rental companies we've dealt with.

Cimmaron St. John was, in my opinion, the best. No service charge, they stocked our fridge with goodies from Sam & Jacks deli, which was wonderful. It was enough for lunch and snacks for a couple of days. I believe they even left a bottle of rum for us. We were met at the dock and our greeter put our luggage in the pick-up truck for us. It was so nice, after a long day of traveling, to not have to haul our luggage up the street to the car rental.

Viva Vacations is our second choice. No service charge, they left us snacks, a loaf of bread, PB & J, and a bottle of wine. Greeter met us at the dock but no help with luggage.

Caribbean Villa bothers me because they charge a 5% service fee. We got a snack sized pack of cookies and some Doritos and maybe another small snack. Unimpressed with them for sure. They only take a check for the deposit.

I do remember someone saying it's up to the villa owner as to what is provided in the welcome bag.

Overall, the companies were very nice to deal with.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

Thanks for sharing the info. I had posted recently regarding the service charge. Now I know which companies to further investigate!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

I'm wondering which homes you stayed at with each company, how did the level of cleanliness and maintenance compare?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

We've rented from Cimmaron, Caribbean Villas and Cloud Nine Villas, and had no real complaints about any of them. I do find CV's 5% service fee annoying because it makes it harder to compare the prices from one villa to another, but it won't stop me from renting from them if the final price is good.

All the properties were in good shape, all had responsive on-island management, and everyone I dealt with throughout the whole process was really nice.

We got a lovely welcome basket at the Cimmaron property, no welcome basket at the CV one, and Cloud Nine was so long ago I don't remember. We were at the Cimmaron property over Carnival, and were surprised to be invited to their gala employee BBQ in the Lumberyard parking lot featuring an open bar, endless food, and a portable shade canopy. It really was mostly for the employees, and it was a lot of fun to mingle and chat with them. Definitely a plus if you're renting a villa the first week of July. :-)

I'd like to hear about other experiences with different management companies.

RI
Level Contributor
462 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

I've stayed at 3 different villas through three different companies and have never had any snacks or goodies left at a villa for us. Is it the norm to have welcoming gifts? I've paid the 5% service fee once (Great Caribbean Getaways this year), but have also paid reduced May rates twice; once for 10% off and this year I paid for 6 nights and got the 7th night free.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

We were going to book with CV for arrival until we learned besides the 5% fee they also had a 100.00 charge for arrival on Thanksgiving. Little hard to swallow..

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

Anyone used Destination St John? How were they?

Horsham...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

Vacation Vistas had a wonderful gift of fruit, cheese, lunch meat, cookies, crackers and wine each time we rented from Lisa. No service charge and the villas were immaculate.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

We've only rented condos - through Caribbean Villas and Cimmaron. The welcome bags were similar in each: Two beers or a mini bottle of rum and a couple of cokes, corn chips and salsa, microwave popcorn and granola bars.

Fine. Something to eat if you're starved, and I appreciate the effort.

We're done with Caribbean Villas. They add that fee that makes it difficult to compare properties, and only accept checks and we want the points on our rewards card. They are capable of processing payment by card but simply WON'T. The credit card company says that they aren't allowed to refuse cards or pick and choose when they'll accept a card. Additionally, the last time I dealt with them, the communication wasn't friendly at all - I was trying to decide if one of their stand alone units would be easy enough to navigate (when I'm fatigued my post-stroke weakness makes it difficult sometimes). They were very impatient with my questions. Since we're up to three visits this year, and our kids are now out of school (more discretionary funds), they are going to be losing quite a bit of money over the years.....

Cimmaron was wonderful to work with, for our April visit, and we're renting from VRBO in November and that owner has been wonderful.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

Destination St. John was a pleasure to deal with. They met us at the dock, helped pick up the rental car, had a nice welcome basket of goodies from Sam and Jack's Deli. During the week, one of the beach chairs they provided tore and the replaced it immediately. We offered to strip sheets and throw linens in the washing machine but they told us it was our vacation and to get everything out of our limited time that we could. Rented from them May 12-19 this year fwiw. Would definitely rent from them again.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Experience With Three Villa Rental Companies

I've dealt with two companies...Caribbean Villas (CV) and Catered to... Both had goodies waiting for us and prompt service if we needed it. What I have learned is that with CV if you are repeat renter with them and renting one of their primary properties (some they list are links and controlled by other agencies, actually had Catered to greet us for a CV rental last year) you get a 10% discount...so the 5% becomes a wash...