We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

virginia
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

We would like some suggestions about powerboat rentals. We would like to see several islands and snorkel. We also want to bring food but aren't sure how to tranport it. Some folks say dry ice and others say the airlines don't allow it. Do you carry it on board or ship with your luggage?

Thanks

Ken

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

For powerboats I recommend Ocean Runner

www.oceanrunnerusvi.com

I've always had a great time with these guys. I also take a captain, they make the day a lot more carefree and enjoyable. They know what they are doing and know all the "good" places to go.

You can bring foods down in a cooler, either checked or carry on, but carry on is safer because the cabin is constantly temperature controlled. I've had friends travel from CA with cheeses, frozen meats, etc in just the "cool/hot" bags and they have been fine. To check on the dry ice call the airline directly. They probably vary on what is acceptable.

st louis missouri
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

I'm thinking about taking frozen food products also. Called the airlines and it is legal to bring but has to be in plastic or styrofoam vented coolers with 4 lbs of dry ice maximum. They also charge you$40.00 and you have to tell them about it. I was thinking about freezing a one gallon plastic jug of water and placing it with your frozen items.ON my flightsit will be out of the freezer for about 10 hours by the time we get to our timeshare. Anybody else tried this? Any info would be appreciated

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

Hi – Re: frozen meats. We have been taking frozen meats down to STJ / STT for years. We live in the Chicago area so it's a long trek. We have never had a problem with stuff staying frozen for 12-15 hours and can usually put most stuff right in the villa’s freezer when we get there. We never use dry ice - not worth the hassle, IMHO. We use a good quality soft-sided cooler - like California Innovations. If you have access to a Sam's Club in your area they sell a great large tote-style one for about $8 so you can get your froaen purchases home on hot days- it has the Sam's Club name on it - but so what? The same cooler will run you about $20 on QVC. We use those smaller blue ice packets - then we have the cooler and the blue ice when we get there to use for the beach. We freeze all of the meat. For steaks we buy a whole tenderloin roast and then cut the steaks when we get there. We sometimes do this with a pork loin roast, too - and cut the chops later. This gives a nice solid chunk of frozen meat to put in the center of the cooler. First, we line the cooler with newspaper - a great insulator. Then we layer frozen stuff and blue ice packs - putting the biggest items in the middle. Flat packages of bacon / breakfast sausage freeze very well and are very easy to put on the sides. We try to get as much air out of the cooler as possible before we zip it closed. We then put the cooler in a large rolling duffel where we also have our snorkel equipment and other villa stuff. I usually put a label on the cooler that the contents are frozen meats. We use TSA locks on the duffel and check it and have never had a problem. A couple of times we have packed a larger soft-sided cooler in a cardboard box and sent that through, labeling it "perishable - frozen foods". Only once was it opened and then re-taped - nothing disturbed or missing. Checking through, you do take a the risk of lost luggage but, knock on wood, that hasn't happened to us as yet but still, you have to be willing to risk that if you check. I really don't like to carry it on as the screeners seem to take their time going through everything and then you lose a lot time and a lot of cooling. Sometimes we add a second smaller cooler with refrigerated items we can't freeze like cheeses. We don't pack them together as there is too much transference - cool to frozen - and the frozen is at risk. When we get to STT we take the cooler out of the duffel and add our purchases from STT on the way to the car ferry or to the villa. We then collapse the coolers for the trip home or you can use them as an extra carryon. Hope this helps – have a great time!!

- Margy

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

Hello! We came from California last summer in August and we froze the meat, froze bottles of drinking water for extra "ice" and brought that on the plane as a carry-on in a soft sided small cooler. Everything was still frozen 16 hours later when we made it to our villa. Much nicer knowing where the meat is from and it is what you normally eat. When you buy meat on STJ it looks a lot different than what we see in California. Also, the "ice", we drink, and we don't have to buy bottled water there. We will be going again in the middle of July. Hope this helps.

Laura

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
246 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Powerboat Rentals and Transporting Frozen Meats?

Just returned on 6 June. Packed a cooler on wheels with frozen ice packs. Packed bacon, steak, burgers, chicken, hot dogs. It was still frozen when we arrived at our villa. Did not check it; carried it on. I was concerned that if it were lost in transient it would spoil. FYI: a bag of Oreos at the Starfish Market is nearly $6:00..carrying on a cooler was worth it's weight in gold!!!