We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
181 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

My wife and I will be coming in for a week on July 4th (the last day of STJ Carnival), so we will just go with the flow that first night. Any suggestions for us on the last day of Carnival? Any favorites for your first Full Day on the island? We spent a day on several of the North beaches 15 years ago, and I can't believe it has taken this long to get back. We are staying in Coral bay. I don't have my 3 boys with me, so I'm having scheduling issues - LOL usually it is - "What does everyone want to do today?"

Boston...
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

Thank you for this post! We will be there at the same time and wonder what will be open for business that day. Where is a good place to go for dinner on the night of the 4th to see fireworks? How wild is this island party? :)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
181 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

Skinny Legs is closed on the 4th, so I'm thinking that is likey for much of Coral Bay. Any advice about Carnival is appreciated.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
659 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

You won't be able to see the fireworks from any dining establishments in Cruz Bay other than Zo Zo 's or maybe Asolare but they will be closed for private parties. Most of the rental car companies are close don the 4 th so I hope you will have arranged for transportation to/ from your villa or wherever you are staying. We stayed in Catherineberg so were able to access the North Shore Beaches from The trail but access would be centerline from Coral Bay as town is closed to vehicles from Round About to Estate LindholmWe have been on island twice and both times went down to the ferry dock, sat to the right of the building on a log and watched the fireworks. Lots of revelers from St Thomas over on the ferry to party with family. Most of the partying occurs before the 4 th. couple of nights of soca, reggae hip hop music. Small parade in the afternoon. Most of the happenings are private or run by Caneel or the Westin. Love St. John and have visited well over 30 times but lead up to Carnival time seems to take away rather than add to The Cruz Bay we enjoy. We are arriving the 6 th.

Boston...
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

If town is closed to traffic, where is the best place to park within acrwasonable walking distance? What is the 4am music/ celebration and how long does it continue before the parade which is published to start at 11am? We have no idea what to expect, so thank you for any insight you can offer!

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
659 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

i am not sure if The 4 AM parade( Jouvert) is on the morning of Carnival. You may not be there for that. Good thing, it is sometimes a little " rough". Not so bad as the one on St Thomas, but not a sightseeing event. Think you would be parking in the lot by the car ferry and walk into town. Not too far. Maybe Concordia will have a mini carnival.

Boston...
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

We thought the 11am parade would be interesting as far as music and costumes go, an experience! That's what it's all about, right? We are a bit concerned about where to eat that day though! Are shops and restaurants closed or is it hit or miss? Would it be best to go to the parade, then head back toward Coral Bay? I think I'm having pre-vacation anxiety over this, ha ha ha!

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
659 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

There will certainly be places open to eat during and after the parade, but as far as a sit down 8 PM dinner in one of the less casual places I doubt it. I am sure High Tide will be open all day, probably Sun Dog Cafe in Mongoose Junction, also try Morgan's Mango, I think we ate there early PM on a July 4 th, Woodies will be open, ask about Barefoot Cowboy ect. I imagine that the casual restaurant/ bar at the beach, great fish and chips and burgers, will also be open. St John is a no stress vacation, take it as it comes. As long as you have your rental car set and not arriving on the 4 Th.and staying out of downtown Cruz Bay you are fine. you are fine.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
659 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

Referring to the casual restaurant/ bar at Caneel on the beach will be open.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

OP, if you are arriving that day, please confirm with your booking agent and rental car that they can accomodate you. We arrived on the 4th in 2008 bc we booked with a stateside mgmt company. Our local villa rep had to transport us in his girlfriend's car because the downtown was shut down and we could not get our rental car. We had a villa provisioning company stock the fridge and bring us dinner because we couldn't get anywhere on our own. For future reference, don't arrive on the 4th if you can help it.

That being said, we were on island for another 4th and made reservations in town for dinner and it was great. We will be there this year but it is only me and my husband so we may wing it.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
181 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival and setting the mood with our first full day....

Because of scheduling issues, we are coming in on the 4th. Picking up our jeep with Discount on STT, then grabbing some supplies on STT, and likely going straight to our villa in coral bay. I've contacted the ferries and they will all be open normal hours. Hopefully, this goes smoothly with the holiday schedule.