We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm in St John and have a dilema

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
444 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
I'm in St John and have a dilema

After 12 hours of travel we finally arrived . It is very cloudy & breezy Sat-Thursday weathers shows showers. I really want to go to the Baths and the only day the ferry goes there is Sunday & Thursday. Problem is I have a half day sail booked on the Kekoa for Sunday (they didn't have any full day sails available) so my day to go to the Baths is Thursday and weather shows showers very likely. UGH! I sure hope the weather doesn't ruin all my plans. Is there any other way to get to the Baths on another day that isn't a private charter?

washington dc
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

Its hard to actually use the weather forecast. Usually rain is in the forecast but typically is not all day and is very localized. Wishing you good weather, we had a few showers on our trip and one rainy day, really just need to wait and see how the day goes

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

Go to the Baths anyway... you will already be wet if you plan on getting in the water AND the shower threat may keep others away. Rain or shine, it will be beautiful and make for a great memory.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,505 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

"Showers likely" is the normal forecast 365 days a year unless a tropical wave or a hurricane passes over or by us. We had a day of constant rain yesterday courtesy of a tropical wave, it's slowly cleared today, the afternoon was hot, dry and sunny and it's a delightfully cool evening now that the Sahara dust has released its grip. I'd place a pretty good bet that you'll wake up tomorrow morning to lovely weather and all thoughts of looking at a weather forecast will disappear. Plan your Baths trip by ferry for next Thursday and have fun!

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

First year I traveled to STJ I checked the weather and saw rain everyday, OMG I thought, what will we do all week with rain...well, I don't think it rained once, it was gorgeous, hot & sunny, listen to STTresident, don't look @ the forecast before going or while you are there, just get up and enjoy everyday.

Norristown...
Level Contributor
341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

I'm with all of the positive thinkers here and thought it might help to share another actual experience. We took our first trip to the Baths on a daysail from Tortola a little over 20 years ago. The day started cloudy, and a little rain even fell on us on the way over. Once there, the clouds blew out and we had big sun for our snorkel and walk through the Baths. The clouds came up again in the afternoon, and it rained pretty hard on the way back - but I gotta tell you, there's nothing quite like standing on the bow of a boat moving through a Caribbean rainstorm with a rum punch in your hand. hoo-hah! Like everyone else, I say go, go, go! There is nothing quite like a boulder snorkel, and no place that we've encountered in the Caribbean quite like the Baths....Have fun!

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

You can also take a ferry to Tortola and then connect to Virgin Gorda. It will take more time, but it can be done.

7. Re: I'm in St John and have a dilema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 05:18