We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in St. John?

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
November in St. John?

Truly hoping we can pull off a trip to St. John in November or December. I've read that November is the wettest month, but are we likely to have a solid week of rain? Or is it like Florida -- passing showers, wait 5 minutes and it'll change? I know the weather is totally unpredictable. Just trying to get some insight. I read in "Off the Beaten Track" that the rainy season is from Sept. 1 to Nov. 15. Obviously, those dates are written in stone, and the rain doesn't automatically shut off on 11/15. But are we likely to have better weather at the end of November? We were thinking even perhaps over Thanksgiving, although some of the villas charge top dollar for holiday weeks -- but not all of them. Are the mosquitos super bad in November or is it usually breezy enough? I know, too many questions. Okay, I'll stop for now.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
486 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in St. John?

We were there last November 11-20 and the weather was nice, not much rain. I did get some mosquito bites if I forgot to spray.

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in St. John?

We were doing early to mid November annually in 2008-2010. Nov. 2010 (11/6-11/14) ended up being a very wet week for us, so we have since pushed out our annual visits to early December. At least the past 2 years, the weather has been great (hoping for the same this December). Also nice to travel in between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, and early December is still the shoulder season before rates shoot up (or at least where we stay at Gallows Point).

St. John
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in St. John?

November is typically one of the 2 most rainy months here. After a bug rain it takes 10 days for mosquitos to hatch so bug spray is a good thing that time of year. Having said that I have enjoyed many wonderful Novembers here. So I guess ..."buyer beware."

Hope that helps.

Island Mike (St John Resident)

Bismarck, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in St. John?

We went for 10 days in Early November 2012 - GORGEOUS!!! Not a problem with rain at all. YES on the bug spray... although you don't notice them... I was itching for a week after I got back. Now having said that, my husband had no problem with the bites.

A Great choice to vacation! It is on my list to go back again!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in St. John?

Historically May and November have the greatest amounts of rainfall but it's not cut and dried. I'd be very surprised if June wasn't the wettest month of all this year. But, no, it's highly unusual to have more than one straight day of rain at the worst of times and the max I've ever dealt with was a four day stretch several years ago. Even the hurricanes and tropical storms pass over very quickly - the soggy stuff lingers when a system just sits there and barely moves. But, again, this isn't the norm. Book and enjoy. Oh, and get your rental vehicle reservation in as early as possible as that's coming into high season and the closer you get to Christmas the harder it gets to find wheels!

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November in St. John?

Thanks y'all. I sure appreciate the feedback. I think we'll take our chances and hope for beautiful weather in November. Otherwise, we won't be able to do it until next April or May. And I don't want to wait that long!

7. Re: November in St. John?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 07:19