We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

Wife and I were thinking about taking a ferry over there later on this week. We aren't really into the bar scene very much as she doesn't drink and I do from time to time. I would like to see the bars though and check out the beaches there if they are worth checking out.

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

My opinion...I love Jost and hanging out at the Soggy Dollar Bar, but I always saw it as the perfect ending to a BVI charter day that included other stops (snorkeling Indians, lunch at the Willy T, Sandy Spit, etc.) instead of the lone destination for the day.

Foxy's over in Great Harbor on Jost is a fun place for lunch and the bars/people watching over at White Bay is a lot of fun, but other than some good t-shirt shopping, there just isn't a lot more to it than that. And I think you'd probably come back saying, "that was amusing, but not amusing enough to spend $75 each plus cabs (from the dock to White Bay) when I have access to beautiful beaches and Painkillers right here on STJ.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

For me, the answer would depend on how many days your trip to STJ is. The shorter the trip, the less likely I would personally want to invest in a day away from STJ!

That said, Jost van Dyke is a lot of fun! I've been there twice and had a great time each time. White Bay is a beautiful beach and the bars are a lot of fun. However, the bar scene is a big part of the package. If you have little interest in bars, then the appeal may be limited. Also, White Bay can get very crowded with boats, which kind of makes it the opposite of a quiet and unspoiled STJ beach experience.

I have not had the chance to explore other areas of Jost outside of where everybody else typically goes. I'm sure there are other areas to explore away from the bar scene if you hire a taxi.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

To add to 54b's point, it may be a better place to experience for the first time as part of a longer BVI day trip. If you took the ferry there and decided that it was not for you, you'd pretty much lose most of a day waiting for the return boat.

But again, JVD really is a blast!

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

We just returned from our week vacation on St John and we chartered a day sail to White bay. The trip was great, but the bars and experience was just OK. If your into the party scene it`s the place to go, but we will stick to staying on St John.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

Its pretty much a bar scene but nonetheless we never miss an opportunity to head over for our annual painkillers. The beach at White Bay It is one of the prettiest beaches in the region.

Mike in Tulsa

Edited: 05 July 2013, 23:46
St. John
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

If you're not into the bar scene, there are plenty of great beaches to check out on St John.

7. Re: Is a trip to Jost Van Dyke worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:17