We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

We're heading to STJ at the end of this month and the one thing I am most excited about is the snorkeling. I'm hoping to see some sea life that I've never seen before and on my big three list are eagle rays, manta rays, and sharks.

Any suggestions for the best spot on STJ to see any of these creatures?

Bristol, Indiana
Level Contributor
362 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

We were there last week and saw two Eagle Ray's at Salt Pond. We snorkeled out to the left and around the point. We also saw a shark at Brown Bay.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

Week before last, there was a spotted eagle ray hanging out around waterlemon cay. It was my first sighting of one. So loved watching it!

Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

we saw an eagle ray at haulover bay. saw a nurse shark at jumbie beach. if you snorkel at haulover bay stay to the right side.

Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

if you wanted to get scared a little, go to brown bay. there is a huge barracuda that is not afraid of people. that thing is about 6 feet long. dont know if he is still alive but that one was scary. the trail to get there is pretty rough so take water with you,

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

Mantas are gone:(

I have seen two nice eagles in Maho recently. It's all luck!! Hope you have it!!

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

As Eagleraylover says - it's all luck. That said, we saw a couple sharks and a huge barracuda at Waterlemon this year - out by the point, beyond the Cay. I've seen Eagle Rays in several places, but Salt Pond and Little Lameshure were best. Good luck

Cikub

Norristown...
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

It has been a while, but our spot for likely Eagle Ray sighting was Ditleff Point. I'm betting they're still there, but as far as I know, you can only get there now by swimming over from Klein Bay. That said, the Ditleff side of the bay - and the really nice Ditleff beach - should still make for a very enjoyable outing if you decide you want to try it. And I'll join the chorus of those recommending Waterlemon - I've lost count of the variety of critters we've encountered there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

Several times, I've seen baby lemon sharks cruising the shore of Francis and Maho bays. I've read quite a few report of the same.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

We saw several nurse sharks of various sizes on the right side of Maho in July. I've never seen an eagle ray or manta, but this year it seemed like southern rays were EVERYWHERE.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to Spot a Manta or Eagle Ray

We saw numerous southern sting rays and a nurse shark at Maho in mid June.