We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

1 post
Save Topic
Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

I've heard so many different things. I'm not staying at the caneel bay resort but I would love to go there for the day to see the beaches. I'm going in mid August during slow season. Are they less strict about access to all beaches?

daisytown
Level Contributor
593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

Sorry but you can only go to their main beach and Honeymoon. They are very strict , wouldn't try it. There are so many beautiful beaches on St John it has never been an issue for us. We hope to try Caneel for a few days after a Villa stay someday to see those other beaches.

Nancy

CA
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

Is there a parking area for daytrippers?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

When you enter the resort, you pay a $20 parking fee. If you spend $20 or more at the restaurants or gifts shop, that fee will be reimbursed to you.

As a PP said, there are so many beautiful beaches on STJ, while I think that the Main beach at Caneel is a nice one, there are others that are just as or more beautiful that do not require a fee to visit.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

By law, all beaches in the islands are public. Caneel may control your access to some of theirs via land, but if you have a boat or dinghy, you can go to any beach you desire.... But only to the high tide line...

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
656 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

As Tethered' mentioned - all USVI beaches are public up to the high tide line. That said, there are so many great beaches on St John that the effort involved in renting a boat or dinghy to visit Turtle, Paradise or Scott probably won't, IMO, be worth the time/$$$/effort.

Honeymoon and Salomon can be accessed via the Lind Point Trail. Caneel Beach is very nice and has some good snorkeling. Just remember - chairs and towels are for guests ; )

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

I have walked all over the property while my wife and daughter were at Honeymoon. Took my camera, and didnt try to 'use' the beaches for swimming or anything. Never had a problem.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

It's probably worth a day of your vacation. Lunch and/or a couple of drinks will take care of your parking fee (I think this generous and a bargain) and the Beach Bar and Grill is a pleasant enough place to eat. You can do the shortish walk to Honeymoon and the longer one to Solomon (not part of Caneel IIRC) or stay on Caneel Beach which provides access to clean restrooms (Honeymoon also now?). You won't feel out of place as lots of daytrippers bring their towels and sand chairs and do it. It can be crowded because of it, but it's a safe spot for kids.

On my last two trips; security has been vigilant re enforcing the non-guest rules--going beyond certain signed points on the resort.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 03:52
8. Re: Can I go to all of caneel bays beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:16