We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report and link to pix

Boston
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
Quick trip report and link to pix

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92483818@N04/

We just returned from our fourth trip. The previous trips have all been in January so this is our first time in August.

I must say we pretty much did the same as usual. Beaches, snorkeling, eating, sleeping.

Things that I noticed were that the ocean temps were much much more to our liking than in January. Don't get me wrong, January is fine too but wow, this water temp now was super nice.

The fish were HUGE and plentyful.

Lots of sharks about and they too were HUGE. Saw at least one every day.

Less people and we liked that as well.

Very good water clarity all week with calm water.

Really great snorkeling in Leinster Bay/ waterlemon cay. With our favorite at the no name snorkel at the three buoys. Saw two very large nurse sharks next to each other, the sea star field, lots of turtles and octupuses, lobsters, etc.

Went to Honeymoon beach for the first time and really like that beach except for the flotila of screaming people being disgorged from catamarans to flail about over that very nice reef. One group was over the reef just screamming... I guess the capt of their boat was encouraging them to be as loud in their screaming as possible.

We stopped at Maho in the afternoons to relax, such an awesome beach.

Saw two baby spotted eagle rays at Maho... they were circling the same area and were so cute.

Best meals were at Sun Dog and waterfront bistro.

Stayed at Bluebitch and had a great experience from beginning to end. Rented their SUV as well. Great people who owned the apt.

Not sure when we'll be able to return...!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
392 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Your pictures are amazing, how was the snorkeling in front of the apt? Thanks for sharing.

Chester, Maryland
Level Contributor
430 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Amazing photos! What camera do you use?

Thanks for the trip report and especially the pics!

Boston
Level Contributor
81 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

WOW!! Awesome photos, please tell us what you used for a camera, I might need to break down for next month's trip!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Another request for the camera type please. Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for sharing. DH switched jobs, so no immediate plans for a return trip for us. :( trying to bide my time with TR and photos of others adventures. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

I used a Canon D20 underwater camera... BUT, I also photoshopped quite a bit to color correct. The water was so clear at times that I did not color correct at all.

The snorkeling at the Bluebitch beach area is pretty good. There were huge fish and the water was very calm. I did not see a reef so it was more large rock snorkeling with some scattered coral.

Thanks for checking out my post.

daisytown
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Wow , your pictures are great. I have the D10 and mine are not nearly as nice. What settings do you use and what photo editing program. I have 11 days next June to practice!

Nancy

Parkton Md
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Amazing photos!!! Sounds like you guys had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

St. John
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

These photos are beyond spectacular. Thanks for sharing and showing why St John is so very special.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Your pics are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!!!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip report and link to pix

Like summer water temps better as well :)

Really gorgeous photos - cute turtle (the little one!), love flamingo tongue shells, a million (!!!) starfish, the octopus having a conch lunch - lots of favorites! See what you mean about the sharks. Wow.

How do you get such popping colors, are you using a flash? How do you stay so still? LOL You must have spent hours and hours and hours snorkeling.

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Love the happy kid!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 17:53