We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private boat charters for 13

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Private boat charters for 13

Hello. I am looking for a private boat charter that could accomodate 13 people. Most that I am coming across can only take 12. We are interested in an all day trip, possibly to Baths but not necessarily. I realize that would have jnternational requirements. Thank you for your recommendations.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private boat charters for 13

It is exactly the International voyage -- USVI to BVI -- that complicates this for you.

There is a multi nation treaty called SOLAS -Safety of Life at Sea - that requires vessels carrying more than 12 passengers on International trips to satisfy a rigorous set of requirements both for the vessel and crewmembers. Most vessels that choose to conform to these rules are commonly big enough to be licensed for 49 or more passengers and that makes a private charter for 13 expensive. There are also USCG Inspected Vessel rules that apply but it is the SOLAS Inspection that demarcates the 12 passenger limit on International trips.

I can't think of any smaller vessels that have found that satisfying all the regulations financially feasible and increased enforcement by both the USGG and BVI authorities have effectively discouraged smaller vessels from legally filling the gap. There used to be one or two STJ vessels that carried 20-24 passengers. Maybe another poster can report if they still are SOLAS vessels.

Your best bet may be to try and negotiate with one of the larger vessels on a price that both parties find satisfactory.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 15:49
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private boat charters for 13

Take a look at the ferry schedule and make your own way there:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

And take a look at Dolphin Water Taxi too:

http://www.dolphinshuttle.com/fares.html

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private boat charters for 13

Dohms water taxi likely has a boat for a group of your size.

Kekoa would be a great sailing option.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private boat charters for 13

I may be wrong but although Kekoa goes to Jost I don't believe they offer a VG trip.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private boat charters for 13

I think kekoa just goes to Jost. Any sail boat would be a long sail to VG. I dont know that a day sail To VG would be feasible. I remember it taking 1.5 hours on the Caneel ferry.

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private boat charters for 13

Thank you. All very helpful.

maine
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private boat charters for 13

Call Andi and Shane owners of born to rhumb. They might be able to do it. We have gone with them several times and really enjoyed it! FYI is a really long boat ride, it's worth it though!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private boat charters for 13

Born to Rhumb can take 15! Check them out!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private boat charters for 13

We used Born to Rhumb for a smaller group and we were happy with the boat.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private boat charters for 13

I always thought that Born to Rhumb took 12 max? It is a great boat with great people though.