We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Two adults and one 11 years old torn between two choices.:

Westin ferry roundtrip STT-STJ $330 total?

Jeep rental 5 days total $370 + $50 STT-STJ rt ferry? Is there free parking at the Westin for guests?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

For us, that's a no brainer. Rent a jeep. You will be so glad you did. You can explore on your own. Taxis charge per person and add up quick. They also don't go everywhere. Yes, parking at the Westin is free.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Will Google Nagivator or Android GPS or Sygic GPS work on St John? I just came back from Turks and Caicos so left side driving is easy, BUT the curvy mountain road on St John scares me a little.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Don't know if any of those work, but you really don't need it. There are only 3 main roads. South Shore Rd which is where The Westin is located and goes on out as far as Fish Bay. Then you have to turn around and come back. North Shore Rd which takes you to the North Shore beaches (Hawksnest, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho, Francis + others). And Centerline Rd that takes you up & over to Coral Bay side of the island. There is another road that connects the farther end on North Shore Rd to Centerline Rd so you don't have to go thru town if you don't want and it is well marked. It's really impossible to get lost. The speed limit is very low. In Cruz Bay you'll be lucky to go 5mph because of all the people walking in the road. The rest of the island is 20 or 25 max (can't remember). Since you already know how to drive on the left you will have no trouble. I love driving on St John!!

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

There is free parking at the Westin. There is also on site Jeep rental at the Westin. As mentioned there is no need for navigation on St. John. We have always taken "cab" from airport to ferry and got checked in at the Westin and rented the jeep there for 7 days. Works well for us, might be a little more than renting on STT but allows us more flexibility on getting back to airport when we want to on last day and I have no real desire to drive on STT, and we do not rent a villa so do not need to stock up on supplies on STT so picking up the jeep on St. John has worked well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

The roads on STJ are in better shape than on Provo, T & C. The roads are curvy but traffic moves slower, 25-30 mph. You won't have a problem navigating, there are a few main roads and the side roads to some of the beaches like Francis are clearly marked.

6. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 20:05
Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

I would rent on St. Thomas and take the car barge over. So much less hassle! We always use Amalie Car rental. Yes, there is parking at the Westin. We've stayed there several times over the past several years, have a great time!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

If you rent a jeep on St. Thomas, you do get good reception with ATT and TMobile. Again, you won't need it on St. John.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Yes, there is free parking at the Westin for guests. I would get the Jeep.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin transfer or jeep rental?

Another vote for a jeep, from either island. I personally don't think I could back onto the car ferry ( hubs does it). So that might be a consideration. No need for GPS! Not enough streets/roads in my opinion.