We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry should we take?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which ferry should we take?

I arrive in St. Thomas at 2:01 and need to get over to Cruz Bay, St. John. My flight arrives at 2:00 p.m. Should I take the 3:00 p.m. Charlotte Amalie ferry or should I take a taxi to the Red Hook ferry instead? How close is the Charlotte Amalie ferry from the airport? How close will the ferry leave us from Grande Bay Resort? Will be able to walk to Grande Bay Resort?

Thanks for any assistance.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which ferry should we take?

I'd take the Red Hook ferry. It's further away than Charlotte Amalie, but much more reliable - maybe 30 mins to Red Hook as opposed to 10-15 mins to Charlotte Amalie.. I believe you can walk to Grande Bay from the ferry, but I'm not absolutely sure - perhaps someone else can answer

Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which ferry should we take?

Currently there is no 3:00pm ferry from CA. The next one is 5:30. You'd be better off taking a taxi to Red Hook and catch the ferry there. It runs every hour on the hour. If you are doing carry-on only, you "might" get lucky and make the 3:00.

Both ferries drop off at the same dock in Cruz Bay. It is a 4-5 minute walk to Grande Bay. Just take a right at the end of the dock. You can't miss them.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 22:17
3. Re: Which ferry should we take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor