We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Phones

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Go Phones

I'm looking for tips on the best way to stay in touch when we are on St. John. We have Verizon, so I anticipate turning my phone off while on vacation. But I want to be able to send/receive phone calls and text messages, if possible, daily to keep in touch with our dogsitter at home. Thanks!

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Phones

I purchased a go phone, but I could not get it to work on STJ (worked fine on STT). Others have done the same, and the go phone worked fine. Does your villa have a land-line?

Paradise
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Phones

I used a Go Phone before switching my iPhone to AT&T. It worked fine for me.

Minnesota City...
Level Contributor
163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Phones

Our villa does have a landline. Maybe a simple phone card would work better? I'd hoped to find something that would allow texting back and forth so I wouldn't have to try to coordinate schedules to catch the dogsitter at home and vice versa. She doesn't have a computer at home, or we would just use email.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Phones

My husband has Verizon and it works fine on STJ. Go to your settings and you can make it so it won't pick up BVI towers and have roaming charges. He has no problems getting a signal when can see St Thomas.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Phones

Verizon doesn't have a presence in the USVI, but you will be able to receive service on loaner towers. Phone calls on most Verizon plans while in the USVI will cost you $1.99 per minute for both incoming and outgoing calls. Not to bad if you can manage short conversations. The good news is that if you have a "smart" phone you can send and receive text without any additional charge as long as there aren't photos being included. Again, on smart phones just go into settings and turn Roaming Off to avoid connecting with the BVI Towers. And, one other advantage of the smart phones is that you can load a Skype App and make phone calls over Wi-Fi at about .02 cents a minute.

It's just the way it is on St John that even with AT&T and Sprint that there are a lot of dead spots.

Rocky Dock

Water Island

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Phones

RockyWI - you are so correct. Hubby always sent/received text messages. Much easier when on island.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Phones

I have Verizon. I have used an ATT Go Phone in St John the last 6 years and it has generally worked well at a very low cost. It's the best way to go.

north carolina
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Phones

Have Verizon. Used it the past 6 times we have been on the island. I turn it off when we are in the BVI'S. I don't however make long phone calls every day. I generally call every other day to check in. Send and receive numerous texts the whole time. Never had a bill over $25/week.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Phones

Our experience with Verizon has been that it works fine ($1.99/minute for calls and free texts if they don't include photos) on the Cruz Bay side of the island and North Shore as far as Cinnamon Bay. After that, it's not likely.

We just stayed on the Coral Bay side, high up a mountain, and had no Verizon service. I bought a phone card at Walmart, and we used the house phone for our daily chats about our pups. It was HARD to find an old-fashioned long distance phone card! The young Walmart employees had never heard of such a thing LOL. I finally found some on the VERY bottom of the card display in the aisles at Walmart - not the display with all the gift cards, but the in -aisle cards. It was less than $10 and gave us about 10 gazillion long distance minutes.

California
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Phones

Verizon works just fine, calls are $1.99 a minute and texts are free/same as at home. Just call Verizon and add the Global coverage for a few dollars and you won't have to worry about the BVI cell tower charges. All very easy. The only thing you can't do is add pictures to your text messages, they have to be emailed.