We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free?

Vermont
Level Contributor
97 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten free?

Anyone know of any St John restaurants that offer gluten free options? I see a lot of breaded items on menus, a little concerned for my GF hubby!

Thanks!

Morgan

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free?

Lots of discussion about that here.

search results:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=432&geo=147409&scope=2&q=gluten+&pid=34633&s=D&x=16&y=4

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
687 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free?

There are also a few gluten-free products showing up in the grocery stores here ...Starfish / Dolphin.

DeWitt, New York
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free?

I have a home on St. John and I'm able to live my life gluten free with a minimal amount of fuss. If you stay in a rental villa, you will have access to a full kitchen and cooking gluten free meals will be easy. Starfish market in St. John expanded their gluten free stock recently, and you can always bring some of your favorite foods with you in your luggage. The restaurants are more aware of what a gluten free diet requires. Many times, a simple question or two is all that is required to get the right thing. I'm a fan of eating my burgers at Skinny legs in Coral Bay, (without the bun, of course). I really don't feel deprived. Ditto for a great steak or lobster at the Lime Inn, just don't eat any rolls or have some wheat containing sauce poured over your food. They will be happy to accommodate your dietary needs.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 23:08
north carolina
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free?

I've been going for years and I've never had a problem. We eat out every meal (except breakfast) and I have been accommodated easily. Also have had great experiences over on Jost and norman Island too. Relax and enjoy.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free?

As everyone has already said, most of the restaurants are happy to accommodate special requests or special dietary needs. At some of the upscale places, you may want to ask when you make a reservation so they have a heads up about any special dietary needs.

At the markets… St. John Market has several gluten free products in their freezer section, and mixed throughout their shelves. Starfish Market has a gluten free section and gluten free frozen at their gourmet market.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free?

Sensitivity dependent, but remember when eating out that if you are going to eat any fried food; that the fryer is dedicated to gluten free (breadings, etc...)

7. Re: Gluten free?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19