We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with baby

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Where to stay with baby

Hi All,

My husband and I will be traveling to St. John's at the end of February with our 7 month old daughter. The first half of our stay we'll be staying at the Westin (using points!) but would like a non-resort experience the second half of our week. We'll be renting a car. We're not on a super tight budget but not trying to spend a fortune. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with baby

February is high season, so you may find most places have a minimun stay of 3-5 days. Grande Bay is a large condo complex right in Cruz Bay. Walking distance to restaurants & shops. Also check out Gallows Point. If you are interested in a private villa check www.stjohnusvi.com for most of the villa management companies on island as well as www.vrbo.com .

NC
Level Contributor
820 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with baby

With a little one - if helps so much to to have everything close & simple - I definitely second Grande Bay!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with baby

If possible , and especially if you are just on St. John (no s) for just a week, I would stay put and not change locations.

Getting set up and settled all over again will eat up a day of vacation . Regardless of where you stay you will most likely be out and about every day exploring different beaches etc.... your accomodations are just home base .

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with baby

Is there a particular reason you want to move?

As mentioned, you might have a hard time finding a villa to rent for less than a week.

Having travelled to STJ with a baby starting at 4 months old, I would recommend Caneel but it may be sold out already. Yes, it is a resort but a very unique one.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 15:38
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with baby

There are so many places to choose, especially since you will miss the cut off for the age restrictions after 8 months old (not safe for babies that walk). Definitely look for a rental that offers baby stuff like a pack and play, which will lighten you load. If you give a better idea of budget, location, and specific needs (pool, AC, hot tub, etc) you will likely get more targeted responses.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with baby

My child's first visit was also at 7 months and we started our trip at the Westin too! Actually, it was not planned that way but the airconditioner conked out at the house so it was off to the Westin. They were wonderful and managed to find us a room in a pinch. Nothing more wonderful than pushing the stroller around all over the grounds. BTW, a day spent at Caneel is also very baby-friendly. I stayed close to facilities with a baby or toddler. I would not be afraid to look into a villa and there are loads to choose from. Grande Bay is very comfortable, but if you want to get away from that resort feel, you should check out your options. You can look on this site, or try VRBO which lists a lot of places which can be rented for part of a week. I loved that age when they're not walking and not really crawling too much at 7 months, it's still pretty easy. I would absolutely only consider places with screening and airconditioning however. Their skin is still so delicate, you really need to be vigilant with the sunscreen, hats, shades and keeping the bugs off of them. Of course, DEET is a big no-no on the skin, but I dabbed it on clothing, shoes, even on the stroller where it didn't touch skin. Gosh, it brings back some wonderful memories! Have a great time.

7. Re: Where to stay with baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:17