We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

Have always had great experiences with US Air and direct flights , AA has been the antithesis in my experience to the point I swore I'd never fly with them again. Big dilemma as my beloved St John has been a quick direct flight away with USA and now that will be in the hands of American! There ought to be a law against monopolies, oh that's right there is. Uhg!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

We had the typical four flights total, getting to STJ and back to Houston. All but one were delayed. One was delayed five times, twice before we even got to the airport. We got into Miami over four hours late.

Apparently the plane in Miami, that was coming back to Houston for us, had maintenance issues. The plane they sent in to replace it, had maintenance issues as well. We felt really good about getting on that third AA plane, let me tell you.

I normally fly United, and this was my first American experience. I wasn't impressed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

Exactly.

NC
Level Contributor
806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

Speaking from a past FA point of view - There are certain Airports & Airlines we avoid at all cost - Matter of fact, we pay extra to avoid them. We have been so blessed with our straight shot from CLT on USAir.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

Supposedly the merger will not effect typical Us air operations but I find that hard to believe. If it had been Us Air taking over American than I'd expect American to improve but that's not the case. If American runs USAir the way they have run themselves, I'll be looking for other alternatives even if it means flying out of Newark or JFK.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

The CEO of US Air will be running the new entity so you can expect smaller seats and less leg room. The AA frequent flyer program will be the surviror. They will run as separate entities for a long while until they can integrate.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

Long time US Air flyer here. I've also flown American to STT and am doing Delta this spring. I'm not worried about the AA-USA merger - I'm sure that that least for a while things will be the same, then they will change - always the same with mergers (note merger, not takeover). I do a ton of flying, and my take now is that Delta now is better than before it merged with NWA (and the old NWA routes are WAY better with Delta service), and that while I think that Continental service is a little worse since the United thing, United as a whole is MUCH better. On balance I like that service too. The fact is that USAir, and probably AA was going bust without a merger. USAir has been looking for the next steps ever since their merger with America West (tried United beofe the United Continental deal). In 5 years time I bet you cant tell the difference.

Colin

Edited: 09 December 2013, 19:33
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

US Air Management team has all but replaced the AA team. Expect the policies and philisopy of the US Air team not the AA team. I expect that the US Air way of doing things will replace the AA way.

Mike in Tulsa

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

This is good to know. Why are they taking AA name if USA is now running the show? USA has been the only carrier out of PHL with regular , dependable, reasonable direct flights.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

It's their philosophy. The USAir management is actually largely the America West management. They have no problem with salving another airline's pride by giving up the name

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Air now part of American Airlines, big bummer

We used US Air when we first started going to STJ, after 2-3 crazy delays, (one that made us drive home from Philly), we stopped using them.

We gave up on American three years ago and now use JetBlue, so far, so good.

Air travel is always challenging no matter what.

However, the reward is arriving on STJ!