We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

Lakewood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

I've been searching around and haven't found much info about peoples experience getting from the airport in St. Thomas to St. John.

What is involved?

Where to take the from?

How to get to the ferry?

Is it worth the $120 to use the hotel's private service?

Thanks!

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

I take it you're staying at Caneel?

Lakewood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

nope, the westin in Cruz Bay.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 14:16
Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

To answer your question, most people after collecting their luggage walk out the door and there is a dispatcher there who will ask you where you are going. He will direct you to a cab that will most likely take you to Red Hook. There will be other people in the cab and you may have a stop or two along the way, but they will deliver you to the ferry. You buy tickets for the ferry and pay any luggage fees and the ferry brings you to Cruise Bay in St. John. You can walk to the Westin, but with luggage it will be easier to take a short Taxi ride and you will be there.

If you opt for the Westin service they will have someone in the airport to direct you and handle things.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

Just to clarify

While it is physically possible to walk to the Westin, it would likely take in excess of 30 minutes and it will take you up one of the steepest roads on island and imost of the route does not have sidewalks. I have been on this forum for a long time and I don't know of anyone that walks from the ferry to the Westin with luggage. I lived just passed the Westin for years and I never walked to or from Cruz Bay. That hill is a killer.

The cost of the private Westin ferry is worth every penny for a first time visitor, in my opinion. It brings you directly to the resort and you do not have to lug your bags to a taxi, then to the ferry, then to another taxi, and then to your room.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 14:45
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

I would spring for the extra, if for nothing else, not having to deal with your luggage. After dragging it around from airport to airport and waiting for it to come off of the baggage carousel, I'm ready to never see it again.

As others have mentioned though, it's easy to catch a cab and get to Red Hook. You just have to wait for the ferry to unload your luggage and haul it around yourself.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

We have taken the ferry from Charlotte Amalie from STT to St. John once and used it for the return twice. From STT airport it is a short taxi ride (I am recalling 5 minutes) and the taxi driver knows where to go as long as you say Charlotte Amalie ferry to St. John NOT Red Hook. The problem is timing..... the Charlotte Amalie only has a few crossing over daily so depending on your flight it may be better to take a taxi to Red Hook. The Charlotte Amalie ferry costs a little more and the ferry ride is longer but taxi ride shorter. If it works with your flight time, it is worth not having to travel across the island. You can check the schedule on the Virgin Island Ferry Schedule website: vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#st…

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
246 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

I don't know if this is an option… but we rented a jeep on Stt and took it over on the barge. There's nothing like rolling down the windows and driving thru town and then getting a glimpse of the beaches.

It was our first trip but super easy b/c they met us at the luggage claim area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

I just arrived today at noon and had arranged a taxi prior to arrival. I chose the service based on the reviews on this forum. We got here and we met him by baggage claim. He took us through town and then over the mountain to Red hook in time for the 1pm ferry.

Cost was $20 per person (family of five). Very pleasant ride.worth it for me. We had 4 bags plus various carry-ons. All worked out great.

When we arrived, as the plane was taxi'ing, the owner of the taxi called to let me know where to meet the driver.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

Here's a break down of cost for public taxi from airport to Red Hook ferry, ferry, and taxi from Cruz Bay ferry dock to The Westin (one way):

Taxi to Red Hook - $15pp + $2-$2.50/bag + tip (you may make a stop or two on the way)

Ferry - $6pp + $2.50/bag

Taxi from ferry dock in Cruz Bay to The Westin - $6pp + tip (they might also charge for luggage)

You can arrange in advance for a private taxi from airport to ferry on St Thomas (no stops unless you want to stop at Kmart or Cost-U-Less for groceries) $15-$20pp depending on number of people in your party. No extra charge for luggage (plus bigger tip if you stop) Rachel 340-771-2986 or Bazile 340-771-5759 If you decide to go the private taxi route, make reservations months in advance. They are in high demand.

I agree with Tinkerbelle. I would never walk to The Westin, with or without luggage. The Westin is located in Great Cruz Bay, not Cruz Bay. It is about a 8 minute drive.

I also recommend reserving a vehicle to truly get the most out of your St John vacation. There are so many beautiful beaches to visit and snorkel, so many oooh's and awe's to be expressed around every curve.... The Westin is fine for home base but it is on a man-made beach with no good snorkeling (too many boats).

Edited: 28 December 2013, 01:48
10. Re: Ferry from St. Thomas Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18