We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for my honeymoon

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Help for my honeymoon

I'm obsessing everyone in this forum because I can't seem to find the perfect place for my honeymoon... Now I'm narrowing it down to St. John. I read here that this island it may just be what we are looking for: beautiful not crowded beaches and great snorkeling.

We have about 15/20 days at our disposal. We're leaving in mid June and we have an average budget of $200 per night for lodging.

Now a couple of questions...

Should I spend all my vacation days in St. John or should I visit other islands? If so, which ones? Should I spend a few days in St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda? Or is it just fine to visit other islands on day trips?

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for my honeymoon

What time of year? $200 is good for off season. I would make St John my base and visit others by ferry or charter. Need to factor car rental fees for they time.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for my honeymoon

STJ is a great base to be able to take a few day trips. Be sure that you include a rental jeep in your budget, as that is a long trip to be without a vehicle.

We love chartering a private boat, we use Palm Tree Charters, and then spending the day exploring the BVI. You can decide where to go on your own.

What are your must haves for accomodations? Whle $200 is on the lower end, there are still places that will fit that budget

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for my honeymoon

You probably have done your research, but $200/night is doable off season, but will keep you very limited in the winter months. If I had two weeks I'd use STJ as the base and ferry to other islands. But... it can get pricey depending on how many days you want to spend off the island. Given your rental budget, this will be something to keep an eye on. One trip you may want to do a charter, but you can just take a day trip over to Jost van Dyke on a ferry to save some bucks. Remember to budget for BVI customs fees (not sure latest, I haven't been in a few years) and tips for the charter. Day trips can get expensive. When we go we haven't had the desire to spend time on St Thomas, but given how long you'll be there you could go spend a day shopping in town. Watch the cruise ship schedule on cruisett.com to avoid crowds (also look at this to pick which days not to visit Trunk Bay).

You need to consider if you want to be close to town or out somewhere remote in your rental. We've stayed in one of the most remote areas of St John on one trip and right there near the ferry dock for another. The evenings are completely different. We stayed at Grande Bay last year and loved being able to walk to the Beach Bar, just hang out and listen to music, and not worrying about having to drive on the windy roads at night in the dark. If you stay somewhere remote, you'll be more inclined to have an early dinner, then save the drinks for your house afterwards looking at the stars pretty early in the evening. We loved this too. Of course there are places that can offer a happy medium, but something to consider. It's a pain driving into town and finding parking. A few rental companies allow you to park on their in town lot in the evenings.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for my honeymoon

With 15 to 20 days you are in great shape and I would visit 2 islands. While I have never been there many go to Virgin Gorda first then the rest of their time in St John. St Thomas, in my opinion, is more built up but still has nice beaches and is a short ferry trip to St John. It is also more economical. I rented a very nice condo 2 years ago from a private owner at Sapphire Beach in St Thomas. Check out my review. The beach is nice and the snorkeling good not great and the cost is in your ball park. The condo is right on the beach. You can just relax on a beach without having to drive like you do in St John. Then you can spend 10 days or more in St John. Another idea if you want to stay just in St John is to spend a week in the Coral Bay area in a villa in the hills, then the rest of the time in town at Gallows Point or Grand Bay so you can enjoy the town at night without driving. Gallows overlooks the ocean and has good snorkeling. Both will cost you more than $200 per night, however.

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
St. John
Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for my honeymoon

Even if it is off season, I would nail down arrangements ASAP. Low season has become increasingly popular so do not assume there will be a broad range of choices. You may miss something wonderful if you wait too long. Also, I agree with posters who say you can use STJ as a base and check out other islands, but that takes even more planning. For example, are you planning to go to other islands as day trips or are you planning to stay a few days on another island? I would probably do day trips only because it is difficult to book accommodations before and after other trips, or maybe you just do a week on STJ and a week on maybe Virgin Gorda. Virgin Gorda is similar to STJ in that there are plenty of gorgeous, uncrowded beaches and excellent snorkeling. However, the sooner the better...

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for my honeymoon

I can only speak to the Virgin Gorda and St John combo. St Thomas is a short putt from St John so I don't include it unless you feel an overarching need to stay there (I like it).

For me 15-20 days on St John alone would get pretty boring. Others here will tell you that the longer the stay the better.

Having spent my own there, I would say Virgin Gorda is more honeymoon worthy. Quiet and beaches that are even more secluded than St John IMO. As many have said, those two would islands would be my choice for a 40/60 split--Virgin Gorda/St John with perhaps a Jost side daytrip.

Just my opinion.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 18:18
Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for my honeymoon

Thanks guys for all your inputs.

Another question: if I decide to split the vacation between St. John and Virgin Gorda should I use for both arrival and departure St. Thomas airport or is there another airport nearby?

Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
753 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for my honeymoon

I think it would be easiest to fly in and out of STT and use ferries. But, you could check Beef Island (airport code EIS) on Tortola BVI too. Will you be traveling from Rome, or from the states? I use http://matrix.itasoftware.com to plug in various flying options, and then book the selected flights directly with the airline.

PS - we just returned from a great stay (our 7th) on STJ, and stayed in a very affordable cottage on the Coral Bay side of the island. It might suit your needs - www.romancecottage.net

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
St. John
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
95 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for my honeymoon

Thanks for the info. I'll be flying from Rome. I'll take a look at the cottage right away.

Thanks!

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for my honeymoon

Sometimes San Juan-Tortola by air and then ferry to Virgin Gorda works, though I have never done this.. Air Sunshine runs scheduled service (I think) from San Juan to Virgin Gorda.

Some may chide me for the expense, but I didn't feel it was a horrible amount of money to charter a plane from St Thomas to Virgin Gorda. You only need to do it one way. You then travel to from Virgin Gorda to St John by ferry and then return to wherever from St Thomas.

Easy Peasy.

Edited: 27 December 2013, 20:16
Mentioned in this post
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands