We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Going to St. John in Feb as a couple. I've been hearing mixed reviews on renting a car or using taxis. I am hearing if things are planned out it is ok to just use taxis. We are staying at Concordia Eco resort. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kate

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
299 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

If you want to really see the island and explore freely, coming and going as you like, rent a Jeep. We just returned from our first trip and loved having our own transportation to explore. If you get to one beach and find it crowded or rough waters, you can simply move on to another. If it rains, you can find a pfun place to hold up. We spoke with people who were using taxis and it really seemed to limit them and require a lot of planning.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 20:20
Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

without a doubt in my mind......rent a Jeep

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
292 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Considering you're staying at Concordia, I think jeep rental is an absolute must to get the full experience. I'd begin looking around immediately if you're going in February.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Are you saying this because it's on the opposite end of the island? We don't want to have to worry about driving after having a few drinks. I also heard there is only one gas station on the island. So it is more favorable to rent a jeep so we are able to freely leave the resort whenever and not have to plan out the taxis?

Thanks!!

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
749 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

I can't imagine being at Concordia without a jeep. Taxis do not go out to Concordia. Yes, the bus goes by the entrance to Concordia, but it is not a given. Possibly one bus every two hours. The restaurant at Concordia is not open Tue & Wed night, so your only option to eat would be the Tourist Trap which closes at 6pm. The beaches that are walkable from Concordia are Salt Pond, and if you don't mind a couple mile walk, Lameshur. You will definitely not get the flavor of STJ if you visit Concordia without a jeep.

Concordia is really not a resort as I think of resorts, in other words, you'll most likely not want to linger on the grounds 24/7. It's comfortable eco-camping.

(When folks generally debate "to get a jeep or not to get a jeep" they are most often staying in Cruz Bay. It's a bit difficult to paint the full picture, but trust us when we tell you that you'll want a jeep at Concordia.)

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Taxis will not be readily available at Concordia and it will be difficult to get them to take you or pick you up. Your own rental is a must.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

I can not imagine staying at Concordia without a jeep. Taxis don't go out that far and you will have to rely on the bus that does not run on a reliable schedule and does not run at night.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
582 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Must rent a jeep. We had a friend who after two days at the Westin finally took our advice and rented a jeep. They loved it and would have missed most of the island if they stuck with taxis' including having flexibility to go anywhere, anytime. Also, I don't think it's possible to not rent a jeep if your staying all the way out at Concordia.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

Everyone has told you that a jeep is a necessity. One of you will just have to watch your drinks when going out as there is no taxi service. Concordia is pretty far away from most restaurants.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To rent a car or not to rent a car..that is the question..

No question for all the reasons stated rent the jeep.