We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raymore, Missouri
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

My husband and I are looking to take one last major vacation before starting a family. We have only been to Mexico, and we were not impressed by the resort scene. We want to be able to explore as we please. We have done research on most of the Caribbean Islands and feel we have narrowed it down to St. John and the Caymans, which I understand are very different islands. We have friends who recently went to the Caymans who swear by it, but St. John is very alluring to me as well. I have read some of the forums on here and they are pretty old so I want to get some new feedback. We are a relatively young couple in our 20's who love to be active, swim, hike, fish, etc. if that helps. Plus, I am always in search for the most beautiful/secluded beaches. Any feedback is appreciated!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

St. John! (For the reasons I posted on your Cayman topic.)

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

You won't go wrong with either choice but I have been to the Caymans once and to St. John twenty-three times.

daisytown
Level Contributor
591 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

I have been to St John 5 times and Grand Cayman once. St John is the winner by far. Beautiful island! Grand Cayman had good snorkeling but that was it.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

I've been to both, and I agree with the others. St. John.

You get the good snorkeling, beautiful beaches, and gorgeous scenery in every direction. I liked the vibe of the local scene better, as well.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

St John hands down. We go to Grand Cayman for the diving. If it weren't for that we wouldn't bother. It's much too built up IMO.

We are able to rent a private villa on St John for about the same $$ as a condo on Grand Cayman. While you can get by without a car on GC (if you are staying in central SMB area), you really need one to get the most out of a stay on STJ. If you hit 2 beaches a day for a week, you'll still not see them all. There is great hiking with a lot of history (ruins) along the way and many trails end at the water. Snorkeling is good from most of the beaches. Diving is OK but no comparison to the Caymans. It's easy to island hop from St John which you can't do from GC unless you fly.

We've been to GC 7 or 8 times. Lost count of how many trips to STJ.........

Edited: 27 December 2013, 18:25
at home
Level Contributor
67 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

Any suggestions on. Where to stay for a family of four. Kids age twelve and fourteen? Snorkeling and a. Nice beach! Food nearby good, too.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

St John: Unless staying at Caneel you will need to drive your jeep to the beaches. Also has good hiking. Unless staying in town will probably need to drive to dinner.

Grand Cayman: Never been but hotels are right on or near beach. No hiking.

Millville, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

As long as you are on beach looking at the water, Grand Cayman is beautiful. However, once you turn around and look at land, you see the difference. Grand Cayman is flat and ugly. St. John is picturesque and mountainous. Really no comparison. Grand Cayman is very expensive, and upscale. Diving is awesome, but I would go to st. John.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

Been to Grand Cayman several times. Been to St. John more than 20 and it has now become an annual trip for us. The National Park has preserved the beauty of St. John. Numerous hiking trails from easy to strenuous can be found. The variety of beautiful beaches brings varied vistas and settings. Lots of great kayaking and snorkeling opportunities. I'd take the mountains, views and beaches of St. John over the Caymans any day. We don't dive so that's not important to us We love the peace and beauty of St. John. I bet you would as well.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John vs. Grand Cayman Island

Swim and hike...St John for sure.