We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Hello all!

My main question is the water taxi worth the extra cost over the ferry?

This is our first time to JVD, any additional suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. We are only there on a day trip.

Thank you!!!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

I think the big advantage of Dolphin over the ferry is that you don't have to go through customs and make your own way to White Bay. Dolphin does stop at customs to clear but they take your passports and do the immigration clearing for you, you don't have to get off the boat and then they take you directly into White Bay for the day.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Thanks STTResident! If we wanted to go to Foxy's, would we just take a cab there and back to White Bay?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Foxy's is right there on White Bay!

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

We used Dolphin for the first time this year. It's a shoddy operation at best. Our driver was all over the place about our reservation times and once we got onto the boat there wasn't any beer or water. I think they survive by being the only game in town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

STTResident, I'm confused... I thought Foxy's was in Great Harbour?

BostontoSTT, thank you for sharing your experience.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

My bad! Soggy Dollar, One Love and Ivan's, etc. are all on White Bay and Foxy's is in Great Harbour which is about a $5 per person taxi ride (or a 45 minute long hike) from there.

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Besides the long hike It is very steep hike to Whitebay, definitely take the taxi recommendation. The ferry drops you off closer to Foxys. If you walk down the dock and then turn right (the less hilly way) you will eventually see Foxys. Corsairs is also just before Foxys if the chef happens to be there. Eat a meal at Foxys and then grab one of the taxi's to Whitebay. The drivers know the ferry schedule so you will find one waiting to take you back to the ferry.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
97 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

Thanks all for the clarification and advice. We'll definitely be taking a cab, what is another $20. Sounds totally worth it!

9. Re: From STJ to Jost, take the ferry or Dolphin Water Taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18