We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel St John

Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel St John

We will be visiting St John for the first time. We are a family of five planning on renting a condo/villa through vrbo. We would like to do some snorkeling while we are there. Should we purchase our own snorkel gear or rent while we are there? Not sure if we will use at each beach we visit, if that is the case maybe we should buy? Also, planning on taking a boat excursion to snorkel, do they provide gear or do we need to bring our own?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel St John

Do you plan to use your gear on more than one trip (either to St John or elsewhere)? If so, buy your own. If not it will cost about $60-70pp/wk for mask, snorkel & fins. If you do a day trip, they usually provide snorkel gear. If you buy your own gear, expect to pay $200+ pp, but they will last for years if you take care of them.

Snorkeling from most of the beaches on St John is good. Each beach is different and so is the weather from day to day. We take our snorkel gear everyday whether we use it or not.

Chicago
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel St John

Our family of five made our first visit last January, and I bought everyone their own snorkeling gear for Christmas. One year later we're going back for visit number two, so it was definitely worth it. Frankly, I was a little weirded out by the notion of using gear that had been used by (many) others. We ended up snorkeling at each of the five beaches we visited.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel St John

We bought our own and it works quite well. You can get a low cost set from Amazon for under $60 per set. Ours was around $45 and should last several years.

Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Divers-Admiral-DryTrek-Snorkel-Set2012/dp/B001QBJTK4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388466086&sr=8-2&keywords=snorkel+set

Costco has a similar set if you are a member there. One issue with taking your own is packing 5 sets for your family. We feel though it is worth owning though as we'll use it many times and it will pay for it after just one use.

The kids may outgrow them fairly quickly though if they are on the larger size of the size range. You may want to try small adult size if they are older as they may grow into them instead of grow out of. Good luck!

ct. usa
Level Contributor
440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel St John

We have always brought our own snorkel gear. Purchased at dive shops ( more $$), and now use amazon. I have found that if I read the reviews on amazon re fit and type of gear the equipment has been fine. Saved big bucks over dive shop prices. If you need prescription mask I suggest dive shop for that. Either way it has been worth the hassle of bringing our gear with us. Just bought the shorter fins ( easier to fit in carry on) on amazon for our next trip -we will be on St. John Saturday!

Sun Prairie...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel St John

In Cruz Bay, there are several places to rent gear. In Coral Bay, there is Crabby's. If you decide to buy equipment, there are tips at http://www.shecarib.com/SnorkelingABCs.htm.

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel St John

I rented mask, snorkel, and fins from Crabby's whenI was on STJ. My son had his own mask and snorkel so he rented fins only for the week. If you are bothered by using a snorkel that has been used, I highly suggest buying your own mask and renting fins only. Fins take up a lot of space in the suitcase.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel St John

We bought ours at Costco and have used them for three years. I don't share, and what chemical do they soak them in? All you need on St. John is your snorkel equipment, a bathing suit and cover up/shirt. :) Have a great trip.

8. Re: Snorkel St John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19