We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Day Five

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Day Five

When a lousy golfer (like me) is having a bad round, then hits an awesome shot, someone will inevitably say, “Those are the ones that keep you coming back.” That phrase seemed particularly apropos as today, our last full day on STJ, was the kind that makes you remember why you went through the cost and hassles of getting here.

After a light rain this morning, the clouds blew out by 9:00 and for the remainder of the day the winds were light and the skies clear. We hit the road early and made our first stop the Colombo Smoothie shop on Centerline Road. The villa was essentially devoid of food, and we figured a nice smoothie was sort of like a breakfast (it has fruit in it, after all, right?). They were delicious, and we headed to Salt Pond with our bellies full. Salt Pond was the perfect choice to start the day. Crowds were moderate, and we found parking right at the entrance of the access road. Snorkeling was pretty poor – saw a few rays, but that was about it.

Around 1:00 we left and made a visit to the Tourist Trap. We waited about 15 minutes for a table, downing a round of “Boom-Boom’s” while we waited. I had the lobster roll, the boys had fish tacos, and Bobbi chose the pulled pork sandwich. Thumbs-up across the board. My only complaint – there was a mildly unpleasant odor emanating from somewhere adjacent to the restaurant. Not sure what it was, but every once in a while the wind would blow just so and we’d catch a whiff of something unappetizing.

Around 2:30 we left for Trunk Bay, hoping that many of the crowds would be gone when we arrived. Sure enough, we found multiple parking spots open and a group of cruise ship visitors was leaving just as we arrived. Despite the “crowds” that are sometimes found at trunk, it remains a breathtaking beauty. We laughed, reflected on the highs and lows of our trip, and enjoyed the beauty surrounding us.

About 5:30 we headed back to Christy Ann, showered-up and left for dinner. We’d planned to go to Rhumb Lines, but upon calling we learned they’d decided, “to take a day off to recover from the holiday weekend.” What??? Must be nice to run a business so successful you can simply close down for a day during prime season. Oh, well. We went to Ocean Grill instead. Two flat-iron steaks, one grilled yellow fin, one stuffed chicken, and one pasta with mushroom sauce – all winners. I also had a bowl of the conch chowder, which was delicious.

After walking-off dinner we headed back to the villa, and began the sad process of packing. Tomorrow we hit the road back to freezing Chicago. We all agreed that, while we have absolutely loved our two visits to STJ, we won’t be returning in the near term. Tomorrow I’ll share a few thoughts on our experience, a few suggestions for those considering a trip, and (sorry) a few things we won’t miss.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

Well, I'm curious why you won't be returning any time soon!

Pa.
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

Eagerly waiting for your post tomorrow! Safe travels back to Chicago

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
620 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

I too am wondering why! Safe travels!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

I'm not. From the reports the family got pretty well skunked by the weather as well as only having 4 full days of vacation. One of the days they spent all that money for a private charter and had rocky seas and bad weather. On most of the other days they found the seas wavy and somewhat churned up as well as it being windy. The kids sometimes got up late and they were pretty far away from town and some of the beaches.5 years ago we stayed in a villa up in the hills overlooking Coral Bay and it rained most of the week. It put a damper on our having fun. However, I enjoyed the mensch's trip reports as they were well written.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

I didn't read Cinemensch's other trip reports, but if they had lousy weather, as Kod mentions, I can totally relate. Our group of eight rented a villa in STJ for a week in July 2010 and had non-stop rain the entire week. Well, that's not entirely true. We had a couple of hours of no rain one morning and one afternoon. We were so disappointed with the weather that it became comical. And, regardless, we still had a great time. In fact, the poor weather makes me want to revisit STJ even more to experience the beautiful island in the sunshine.

Cinemenschi - It's a shame you weren't able to go to Rhumb Lines. That was mine and my husband's favorite restaurant on STJ. Although, it sounds like you had a great experience at Ocean Grill.

Happy New Year, everyone.

6. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 03:35
7. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 20:35
Indiana
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

Godiva - we were there for that same week in July 2010! Luckily we stayed for 2 weeks and the second was much better! We've been 3 times in June and July and it has been hit or miss with the weather!

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
648 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

St John receives about 46″ of rain each year. Here are monthly averages: JAN ( 2.65″), FEB ( 2.2″), MAR (2.0″), APR ( 3.78″), MAY ( 4.1″), JUN ( 2.40″), JUL ( 3.30″), AUG ( 4.40″), SEP ( 6.20″), OCT ( 5.10″), NOV ( 6.50″), DEC ( 3.30″)

But just like the disclaimers on investment funds ... your results are not guaranteed ; )

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: Day Five

Sounds like a perfect last afternoon, on a beautiful beach! Thanks for sharing your trip.

p.s. looking forward to hearing where you decide to go next... :)