We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

north carolina
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

We always eat at Zozo's, Joes, High Tide... But would like to plan one more restaurant. Which do you prefer?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

I am interested in this question as well. We are leaning towards virgin Fire and would like to hear experiences about both.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

Ate at Virgin Fire just after it opened. I'd definitely recommend it. Havent tried Ocean 362, so cannot comment. Good luck

bethesda, md
Level Contributor
417 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

We recently dined at both of these and enjoyed them both but they are very different.

At Virgin Fire we had 5 of the small plates (actually 6 since we had a double order of the HImilayan salt block) and everything was very, very good, especially the salt block! We enjoyed being able to try several different dishes but they also have an interesting list of full plates that i'd like to try when we go back and, we will go back. Its a casual, relaxed, friendly atmosphere.

Ocean 362 is more "high end dining" with a price that goes with it. There are some Indian inspired dishes and some of the usual fare at this type restaurant, osso buco, lamb chops, etc. We split one appetizer and each had an entree. The appetizer had indian spices and was really good. The shrimp curry entree was outstanding but the grilled mahi was kinda bland and disappointing for the price. The atmosphere while not really stuffy, and the staff was very nice and friendly, still felt rather formal and it was much quieter than Virgin Fire. We'll probably go back here as well and stick to dishes with indian flavor.

So if i had to choose between the 2 it sorta depends on what you are looking for. If you're just looking for another place to go I'd recommend La Tapa, my favorite restaurant on SJ.

north carolina
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

Tx jwwj. That gives me a great understanding. I will take your advice and make a reservation for LaTapa. I think Virgin Fire is more our style. That gives us the following to eat at while we are there: Zozos, LaTapa, High Tide, Joes or Candis, Cruz Bay Landing, Sun Dog Cafe

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

The menu at oceans is what is leading me away from it. While I like Indian flavors, the rest of the group does not. They are remembering zozos and I think they might be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Is virgin fire still working under the no reservatios, just call ahead model?

Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

Haven't made it to Virgin Fire yet (so many places, so little time!) but did try Ocean 362 last month (on Prom night). Although my wife and I both really enjoy East Indian food, they also have many other items on the menu. She really enjoyed both her Garlic Masala Shrimp appetizer, as well as her veal osso buco entree. I really enjoyed the cioppino appy, and the Malabar Shrimp Curry. I would say only a small portion of their menu (i.e. <20%) is "Indian-inspired". Although I really enjoyed having Zozo's in that location (since we always stay at Gallows), I will definitely go back to Ocean 362 again (and the drive to Zozo's isn't bad and certainly worth the trip!).

Edited: 11 January 2014, 15:24
bethesda, md
Level Contributor
417 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

I don't know about the reservation policy at Virgin Fire, we were there early December and didn't bother to call ahead since sorta still off season and nothing was crowded.

Keke, sounds like a good list, not familiar with Cruz Bay landing, interested in hearing about it.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

Ocean 362 :)

Pia

Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

Since you are already going to eat at Zozo's, I highly recommend Virgin Fire. I haven't tried Ocean362 yet but we had a great experience at Virgin Fire. Nice atmosphere, great service, mid price range.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Fire or Ocean 362?

I really, really, really like Virgin Fire. The food is great and reasonably priced. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere is very chill. It's one of my favorite spots.