We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early May weather & average rainfall

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wichita, Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
Early May weather & average rainfall

On average, how's the weather on St. John in early May? Is rain frequent/heavy during this time?

Thinking about vacationing there first week of May... will definitely snorkel... would like it to be in clear waters!

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

According to weather.com May is the 4th rainiest month. We got skunked by a lot of rain the first full week of May 5 years ago. It was not just short intervals of rain but pretty steady. This made for a frustrating vacation. I have gone early April since then but due to circumstances we are going the end of April this year and may get hit with rain again. I went in May one other time and had absolutely perfect weather but the statistics are not great.

Roseville, MN
Level Contributor
124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

We have been to St. John three times now during the month of May and are going again in May this year. Our first two years it only rained a little. Last year it rained pretty good one day and then a little bit here and there for the rest of the week but it did not effect our vacation one bit.

Its the tropics and expect it to rain from time to time. You will rarely have a day that is completely ruined by rain. Most people just go snorkeling or find a bar (or two) to pass the time until it clears up.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 21:32
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,505 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

May and November are historically the wettest months:

vimovingcenter.com/island_living/weather.php

But December 2013 is likely to set an all-time record and was very unusually very wet. As the weather gets whackier all over the world we're not immune so who knows. But prolonged stretches of rain aren't normal at all and it's not normal to have more than one day of continuous rain at any time of the year.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
183 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

I agree with everyone that there CAN be rain. We go every year in May and 2 out of the seven have been rain. The ohter 5 were sunny and dry. We still had days where we could snorkel. I believe Pia said that there is usually a 10 day stretch in late April or May where it will be rain, you just don't know.

We love the island after a rainy day and it clears up, everything greens up and looks more beautiful.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

Since I am going end towards end of April, I hope its not in my 10 day stretch!. It was when I went 5-6 years ago first week in May.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

We've been doing late April/early May for the past 10 years or so. We had 1 year that was pretty rainy, the rest have been great. Doesnt mean there was no rain, but certainly not enough to worry about. Went in October last year and it rained quite a bit, so as always, it depends.

7. Re: Early May weather & average rainfall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18