We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time needed at airport

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
278 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How much time needed at airport

Our choices are 4 hours or 2 hours ....we fly out on Monday ( Delta).... Many thanks for all your help

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time needed at airport

Which airport? Your connecting airport to STT, or STT on the way back?

Two hours should be a sufficient layover at any airport, IMO. I never recommend anything less, unless your carry-on only.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 15:21
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time needed at airport

I'm a little confused by your question but you should be at the airport no later than 2 hours before your scheduled flight time. St Thomas is a Port of Entry into the US so you need time to go through customs and immigration, etc. and if you're coming in season it can get pretty jammed up.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time needed at airport

If you are doing carry-on only you will be fine with 2 hours. If you are checking bags I'd allow at least 3 hours. Make sure you pick up a customs form when you land and have it filled out before getting to the airport on your return.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
278 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time needed at airport

Sorry for the confusion everyone..... We will be coming from Tortola to St Thomas into CA....ferry out of Road Town is 10am or West End at noon..... 50 min ferry to CA and clear customs....flight leaves at 3:15...we will be checking bags too

Mentioned in this post
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Boston
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time needed at airport

You also have to clear customs when you get off the ferry into STT (and again at the airport). So you need to leave time for that and sometimes there are delays. If it were me, I would take the 10 am, leave my bags at the taxi stand and have lunch in town and head out to the airport about 1ish.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time needed at airport

No question at all - the 10AM. You can get off the ferry and, if you have time, stop at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort on the airport road and have lunch, enjoy the beach and then hop a cab for the two minute ride to the airport (or walk it if your luggage has rollers)!.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
278 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time needed at airport

Thx everyone .....we will get the 10am and have lunch

8. Re: How much time needed at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17