We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Topic
Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Planning a vacation to St John in late March / early April and could use some advice on great vacation rentals or villas (or hotel)

Adventurous family, 5 adults and 3 kids (9,6,5). We went to St Thomas last year and found ourselves taking the Ferry to St John every day after visiting there.

Looking for a good property for the whole group, preferably close to Cruz Bay for nightlife and restaurants. Are there decent places within walking distance?

Been looking at tons of properties but struggling to comprehend distances and compare values so thought I'd tap the forum for advice within the context of our preferences.

Jess

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

The villa search is a tough one! You will not find a villa within walking distance to town that large. Rental vehicles are a must and you will want to book those ASAP. Jeeps/SUVs go fast on STJ

Most importantly, what is your budget?

How many bedrooms do you need?

Is a pool a must have?

When looking at houses with multiple bedroom, check to see if there is indoor access to the bedrooms. Many will not and that may be an issue for you with little ones.

north carolina
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Conduct a search on this forum asking " internal access bedrooms.". This search will produce a good amount to choose from but can still be tedious. If I were you, I would call many of the on island rental companies and give them your specifics and let them narrow it down for you. We have used Catered Too and Viva Vacations. Both were excellent to work with. There are plenty more on the island though... U can do another search on this forum of "rental companies on island." hope this helps. Some villas will not rent to families with children less than 8 so again the rental company can help u with that.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

I would suggest going to VRBO and typing in 4 or more bedrooms to begin with. Look on a map and stay around Cruz Bay, Chocolate Hole, Klein Bay, Fish Bay, Rendevouz (sp?), Monte, Hart areas. These areas are only a few minute drive to town. Some homes are made in pods (different buildings) and some aren't. Stick with those that aren't' . Good luck. Stick with VRBO, all the homes are either managed by owners or are managed by companies.

Minneapolis
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

I agree with TInkerbelldee, establishing your budget is key. We have stayed at several villas on the island within a short drive of Cruz bay...but at varying budgets.

Flipkey is a good resource for searching...we have had tremendous luck with Flipkey.

Chocolate hole is a good location, close to Cruz Bay.

Good luck!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Another suggestion is to rent a studio and 1 bedroom from Grande Bay (they connect and sleep 8). This would be walking distance to town, there is a pool, hot tub, etc. and would be a nice layout for the family.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Well... To jesterlou.. I would hurry up and try to settle on your villa very soon. The reason I say that is that we wanted to go to STJ in late June and just began our villa search about two weks ago. What I found was that many of the "better values" for places that we liked were already booked for that time frame. It seemed like the wise shoppers had already done their homework and things were getting picked over. I can also tell you that trying to figure things out from websites only is not easy.... I even started a spreadsheet for the different villas comparing all of the aspects that we needed. Yikes...Do some research, settle on a few choices and thencall some of the agents based on STJ... They were very helpful. Good Luck. By the way I have to say that I spent at least 10 hrs. checking out every single place that we thought of as a possibilty. So you better get going...

Boston...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

Look a Kabej Patch. We have some family members staying there is a few weeks. 5 Bedrooms and looks pretty close to Cruz Bay. stjohnultimatevillas.com/st-john-villa-kabej…

Minneapolis
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

thanks for all the advice! We are booked. Found what appears to be a great match for our budget, location, and family in "La Barracuda" - I'll report back after the trip

9. Re: Family of 8 seeking vacation rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 06:19