We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disposable underwater cameras

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
218 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Disposable underwater cameras

Hi,

Are there places on St. John that sell underwater cameras that are reasonable in the Cruz Bay area? I should have ordered some online, but now I am running a bit close to my departure.

Thank you,

Mary

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

Most stores charge $20 or so for 27 exposures. Sometimes you can get them at CostULess for less.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

I have to say, though that in my experience the disposable ones are pretty bad. You can get a decent camera that will take underwater and land photos for around $250. The Canon D20 is one that I've seen. There are others around that price point and around $200. I wouldn't look at anything that is waterproof to less than 30 feet. The images are much better and also are digital, so you can clean them up and fix the white balance. Also you can take as many images as you like. There are a couple of threads on the forum here if you are interested. Good luck

California
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

I agree about buying one instead, you can easily can find one under $200. Money well spent. I recently bought this one at Costco and loved it on our trip, currently only $150.00 with rebate.

www.costco.com/.product.100032443.html…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

If you have time this rental site was fantastic for us. http://www.atsrentals.com/

Rented 11 days - canon d20 - $50 total including shipping both ways.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

Thank you for posting.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

Atsrentals is great. Rented from them many times.

Virginia
Level Contributor
248 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

I would concur that the disposable cameras are crummy. We bought one for our trip to St. Thomas years ago and took a bunch of shots with it. They were all horrible. Very grainy, colors not true, blurry. We are going to buy a nice underwater camera to take with us each year on our vacation.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

Thank you so much for posting the rental link. I had been debating about what to do, and I'm so glad I can just rent one!!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

You will enjoy playing with it and you can see what you took right away as opposed to disposables - you don't know you got crummy shots until you develop the pics. Read the manual that comes along with it -- you will know what settings to use in what conditions and that really makes a difference. Enjoy!

10. Re: Disposable underwater cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18