We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

So, the hubs and I are arriving to Grande Bay resorts somewhere around 4 pm this Thursday; I'm sure we'll settle in and unpack etc etc...then want to head out for a casual dinner somewhere neat to eat (cool vibe, relaxing, not pricey). I have been perusing and perusing all the r'rants in Cruz and Coral Bay and now am completely overwhelmed (and hungry!) b/c soooo many of them look soo delicious! Beach Bar looks really convenient to Grande Bay and I was thinking of maybe hitting that up, but I see they have live music on Fridays and Saturdays and so am thinking it may be better to go there one of those nights instead. Any recommendations?

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

1st dinner on island? Call for reservation today and then go here: http://www.rhumblinesstjohn.com/ then have drinks at the Beach Bar on your way home. This will get you a little familiar with town and easy walking and getting into the island vibe. Enjoy!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 19:06
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Banana Deck

It is my favorite casual restaurant!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

yeah, I've seen a lot of good reviews about both! Which do you think is closer to Grande Bay?

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Rhumb Lines is about a 5 minute walk from the Ferry terminal by the Beach Bar area and Banana Deck is maybe 4 minutes past that. Both estimates are at the most, may be shorter.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
281 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

I think BL575 was looking at distance from Grande Bay, which would put the Banana Deck closer (across street from Beach Bar). Rhumb Lines is about 2 short blocks from the Banana Deck, so it is really a push.

http://www.thebananadeck.com/id2.html

Edited: 28 January 2014, 19:43
Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Thank you! So sorry, was thinking Mongoose Junction. Just for that, we'll have to go there this trip in four weeks!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

perusing the menu of banana Deck, I think that may be a good option for din-din; any menu suggestions? I wonder how the burgers are? The grilled mahi sandwich looks yum!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Blackened Mahi Caesar salad is my go to and my husband has the Blackened Mahi Greek Salad.

I was recently told my some friends that just came back that the Rib Eye there was one of the best they have ever eaten, anywhere.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Oh, right! I saw ALOT of ppl say that the ribeye is to DIE for there; i'm sure the hubs will probably order that! I cannot wait to try their yummy food! To be honest with you, I cant wait to try ALL of the yummy food at a lot of the restaurants in St; John!! It really looks like you can't go wrong at any of the places!

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
281 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casual r'rant for first day's arrival; staying at Grande Bay

Reminds me of the first time we went to STJ back in 1996, ate at the bistro. Both of us ordered something other than seafood. The chef came out, sat down at our table and let us know how disappointed he was that at the best seafood restaurant (his opinion) on the island we come in and order freakin' pork tenderloin something or other.