We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Mass
Level Contributor
844 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Hello - we are docking in St Thomas 11AM-7PM in March and were thinking of ferrying to St John and find a beach with good shore snorkeling and a beach bar. It would be nice if said destination wasn't hard to get to (walk or quick cab from port). Ideas appreciated!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
316 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Only one we found that would meet your needs was Trunk...but the bar is not on the beach, it is set back with the rental stuff. We were still able to get back and forth to it fairly quickly though. :)

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
278 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Trunk Bay beach has a snack shack that sells beer and some other mixed drinks. Take a taxi from Cruz bay for $8 for 1 person, $6 pp for 2 or more.

Brighton, Michigan
Level Contributor
278 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Cinnamon Bay does have a restaurant that serves adult beverages, though not right on the beach. It is a little further from Cruz than Trunk bay is.

NC
Level Contributor
788 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Grab a STJ map, jump on an open-air taxi and visit one of the North Shore Beaches. Honestly, I would take a beautiful pic of Trunk, but personally, I would move on. Hawksnest is easy - and you actually might see some underwater activity. Maho, Francis & out toward Waterlemon (Lenister) is your best bet for seeing some underwater activity. I would take a little mini-cooler or at least make sure you have some extra water/snacks along. Catch the taxi back to town (Cruz Bay) around 3 and hit one or two or three of the uber cool watering holes for Happy Hour - all within walking distance of each other. I'm sure you'll enjoy STJ so much, you'll be back! :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Caneel's main beach and beach bar is open to the public and easily accessible by taxi from St john ferry dock , you will not have access to their beach chairs but you will have the bar and good beach snorkeling. This is really the only combination of the both snorkeling and bar available on St john. It is also the closest to the ferry under 10 minutes.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 19:52
Eastern Mass
Level Contributor
844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Thanks very much all!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

For what u want i suggest trunk bay. Its very pretty and good snorkeling. Much better snorkeling than Csneel. Save some time and use their showers and changing room to get sand off then take cab back to town and go to woodys and beach bar.

There is no great beach with great snorkeling and a great beach bar in st john

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

From Caneel's main beach you can snorkel towards little Caneel and on towards honeymoon/solomon or hike to honeymoon and or solomon. Plus honeymoon now has a vendor for sups, kayaks, chairs and offers snorkel eco tours plus there is the Caneel beach bar for food and drinks. Imho better taste of St john than trunk which is probably where the rest of your cruise ship passengers who head to stj will go.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

I would suggest staying on STT and going over to Megan's.... It's everything Trunk is and gives you at least 2 extra hours.

Virginia
Level Contributor
248 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shore snorkle and beach bar day trip

Magen's Bay on STT is stunning, but the snorkeling isn't good. We saw mostly clear and silver fish there. They do have a restaurant there but I can't remember if it sold drinks. If memory serves, I think a lot of cruise ship excursions go there as well so it can get crowded.