We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filling US Prescriptions

Lima, OH
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Filling US Prescriptions

Hello:

We will need to refill some routine prescriptions while staying on St. John. Does anyone know of any pharmacies on St. John or St. Thomas that will accept insurance from the US for prescription refills? TIA for you help.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

You would be better off refilling them before your trip. Easier, no hassle with insurance coverage.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

There is only one pharmacy on St John I suggest you call them - 340-776-4888 - and depending what it is they may or may not stock it (I have to have CVS in the States ship my one and only prescription)

Pia

Lima, OH
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

Thanks, Pia -I never thought of having them shipped to us. We will try to get extra from our pharmacy before we leave, but insurance does not usually allow it. We are staying long enough that our usual 30-day supplies won't be adequate.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
677 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

As Pia mentioned - the one and only pharmacy is Chelsea Drug Store ...second floor of the Marketplace Shopping Center ( above Starfish Market). Give them a call and see if they can fill your 'script'. And if they can ...get the fax AND electronic submission info for your doctor.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

Call your insurance company. I know my husband can get a 90 day refill through the mail vs a 30 day refill at the pharmacy.

Lima, OH
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

Too late for the 90 day by mail option, but thanks for the tip. We know we can pay full price, if they have the meds we need, then try to submit it for reimbursement, but doubt we would get reimbursed the full amount. That is at Chelsea Pharmacy -were hoping to find another pharmacy that would accept our US insurance. Don't know until you try, I guess. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

I get 90 day refills from my Pharmacy - Rite Aid. It may be worth looking in to.

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

Some insurances will also allow an additional 30 day vacation supply if you call the member services number on your card. Especially if you tell them you are leaving the country, they will usually be willing to put an override for you.

Lima, OH
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

THANK YOU, Effie -that is very helpful!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filling US Prescriptions

I agree with Effie. Another possibility is asking your doc to "increase your dosage" on paper, so you have enough actual tablets to take with you, or asking if he/she has samples that would get you through that time period. I think you'll get what you need by asking for a variance for your vacation time, though.