We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

We are coming to St. Thomas for a work retreat. But we have our first day free. We would like to take the ferry from Red Hook Bay to Cruz Bay, go snorkeling and have lunch at Caneel Bay. What's the best way to get to Caneel Bay from Cruz Bay? We won't have any luggage, except maybe snorkel gear.

Assuming taxi. But thinking maybe we could walk, or rent a bike.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

You can hike. It's about 25 minutes. Wear good walking shoes. Or you can take a taxi for $5pp each way. No bike unless you have a death wish (you'll see what I mean when you get there). Take your camera

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

The terrain is hilly and rocky and it's an easy hike for most, but those who are very sedentary may find it more challenging. There are at least 2 trails that take you there, but most people take the shorter one mentioned above.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
648 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

As mentioned ... the Lind Point Trail heads out from the eastern end of Cruz Bay by the National Parks Visitors Center. The hike is strenuous but well worth the activity "points". You can also stop at Salomon Bay Beach and Honeymoon Beach on your way to Caneel. Or you can take the taxi ... 5>10 min ride!

NOTE: Visitors to Caneel can only visit Caneel's main beach and Honeymoon/Salomon. The other beaches are reserved for guests of the resort. And before anybody starts in with the ..."no VI beaches are private ..." remember that landowners CAN restrict passage by land. You are not restricted if you land on a beach from the water/sea.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Onislandtime, Caneel has put swimmers buoys around all their beaches so you can't dinghy in.

The only way would be to swim in

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Sure you can walk, and it might be a good way to see a bit of the island, but you have limited time so I would suggest, if you walk there, take a taxi back or taxi and then walk.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Sail44. Hope the dingy rental places are informing there renters of this new development. I can't blame caneel , if I were a guest I would not want that traffic.

california
Level Contributor
773 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Thank you all very much. What sound like a good idea to me is to walk there, and take a taxi back. I go to a boot camp exercise class and run slow half marathons, so a little hike (30-60 minutes) will be fine. Also, we have all day. So time isn't a HUGE issue (depending on when we get started of course). If time's an issue, we can take a cab. But back to the hiking, do we walk along the road, or is there a trail? Can anyone go onto the resort to eat, or is it reserved for guests of the hotel only? And, maybe there's another place we should go to snorkel? We went there the last time we were in the USVIs and if there's somewhere else that you all would recommend, I'd take that recommendation. Thanks again for your help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

Stop at visitors center and get a copy of the park map, then take lind point trail to first salomon bay an absolutely beautiful beach snorkel point around to honeymoon there is a vi eco tour hut here with chair rentals, kayaks , susp ect. Then walk along honeymoon take trail to caneel have lunch take cab back.

Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

The Beach Bar is open to non hotel guests. They also have a new food option in the gift shop area which serves gelato and paninis. I love the snorkeling at Caneel, but depending on when you might be there, Honeymoon might be crowded. Some cruise ships bring excursions there for a swim. Most of the beaches offer great snorkeling, but very few have convenient restaurant type food and bars.

And I don't know if I've ever seen anyone drop anchor on a dingy close to a Caneel beach. I have, however, seen a woman swim into the Caneel part of Hawksnest from a sail boat, steal a float and swim back to her boat. Not to give anyone any ideas.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 17:52
NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from the ferry to caneel bay....

The buoys are there to protect the swimmers. Not to keep the people off the beaches. Though I saw the buoy violated by at least one dolt who powered on the inside of it on Scott. Lots of snorkelers and swimmers on Caneel beaches this time of year. Potentially dangerous. So swim or paddle in.