We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private ferry from STT to St John

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Private ferry from STT to St John

We used a company 2 years ago and forgot their name. We do not want to us the public ferry system since we have a large group.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,235 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

There are two water taxi operators - Dohm's and Dolphin.

Tampa, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the private ferry is worth the expense? We arrive in the late afternoon and are anxious to get to our villa and go grocery shopping before it gets too late. ANy opinions or advice are appreciated.

Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

Hi. My husband and I are traveling to St. John and were told to pay for the private ferry as it is much faster than waiting for the regular ferry on the afternoon of our arrival. Does anyone have an opinion on this? It is very expensive but we are anxious to get to our villa and go grocery shopping. We arrive in the late afternoon.

Thanks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

I have taken both and it really depends on what time your flight arrives as to how much time it saves. The actual ride across the channel is quick on both.

Edited: 06 April 2014, 20:45
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

We have used Dohms since 2005 (every trip since then) so yes, we think it is worth it. Double check me on the cost but I believe it is $125 for the first 5 people then $25 pp for each above the $125 minimum. (You pay the $125 whether you have 2 people or 5).

We generally have at least five people so the cost isn't a lot more. Last time I figured it out, it was $7 more pp BUT we had a group of 7 and lots of luggage. We also use their recommended private taxi which is $75 for the first four, $15 pp above that.

We do it not only for the speed but the convenience factor and like anything els, it costs for the conveniEnce and service. My husband wants to get to "vacation" and for him, that is when we shut the door on the villa greeter. We have done the ferry dash enough times (not just on STT) that we were ready to go the easy way.

For other people, they are on vacation when the land on STT and the public hassle and bustle is part of their pleasurable vacation experience. To each their own.

I have always found the taxi driver and dohms staff to be pleasant and professional. There is a small stand at the dock where you can get drinks for the boat ride over. The boat is stocked with ice water. You leave from a private dock in red hook and arrive on STJ at the NPS dock.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

What time do you land and do you have checked bags?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

Not the OP but I have the same question. There will be 2 of us arriving in STT at 2:45 with checked baggage.

We don't mind paying extra for a private transfer if it saves significant time or hassle. Would it be worth it?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

Figure not leaving airport till 3ish or so plus 30 or so minutes to redhook ferry so you would be at redhook ferry in time to comfortably get tickets and board 4pm ferry. I would not bother paying the extra since the public ferry schedule aligns so well with your flight.IMHO

Edited: 07 April 2014, 16:08
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private ferry from STT to St John

There is a 3rd water taxi.

http://stthomaswatertaxi.com/#service