We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug spray question

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
Bug spray question

Hi,

My family and I are happily leaving for St. John this Tuesday! I was wondering if we will need the Deep Woods Off with the 25% deet as opposed to the Family Off that is like 7%. I ask because when we were in Costa Rica last year, the bugs would laugh at 7%, we sprayed liberally with Deep Woods, but still wound up with some bites. That is the true rain forest, granted. I have some of both, but am trying to decide if I need to buy more of the Deep Woods.

Thanks!

Sonja

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug spray question

Take what you have. It all depends on the weather they have had (rainy or not), how high up you are staying (are you going to catch the constant breezes), etc. Some trips we need it, others we don't. BUT, when you are going out to dinner, spray your legs and feet! The little buggers eat me alive under the table/bar. Most restaurants have a can on hand if you forget.

I'm so jealous! Think of all of us stuck in the snow while you're enjoying your trip!! Have a great time!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug spray question

take the 25% deep woods- the st john bugs will respect it.

ct. usa
Level Contributor
411 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug spray question

I vote for the 25% deet at least. Avoiding the bite is best way to avoid diseases transmitted by mossies -(dengue fever, chikungunya)- not sure if any documented cases of chikungunya on St John but St. Martin sure has a problem with it. I always pack long sleeved shirts and thin cotton long pants to be extra protected. Long acting Deet is available on Amazon or at places like Eastern Mountain Sports. I am not sure if ok for use on young kids.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bug spray question

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! Deepwoods Off it is! The bugs everywhere love myself, my husband and our kids. Just caught my husband as he was heading out the door to the grocery store to tell him to buy another bottle. I am sooooo looking forward to getting to St. John, we have had one snow storm after another (including one right now) in the Boston area. It's hard to even imagine warm temperatures and beautiful, colorful vistas. I'm just praying that the weather cooperates and we can get out of here and make our connection at JFK on Tues. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bug spray question

We were there last week and there was no bug issue for us. 84 and sunny everyday, pure heaven. Came home to snow, yuck, should have just stayed.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Bug spray question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17