We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to visit St. John...

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best month to visit St. John...

Hi everyone!

I first wanted to thank all those who participate on the forum...it is truly so helpful while planning a vacation. I have one quick question...although I know I run a risk of bad weather during the following months...as people who been to and know the island, which month do you think would best to travel to St. John for one week....Aug, Sept, Oct, or November?

Thanks in advance! :)

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

I could even do July if that's better!...

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

May and November are the two rainiest months. I have been in August and it was HOT and DRY!! Everything is open as well. Sept/October many of the restaurants close (but not all).

Anytime is a great time to go to St John, especially as I look out my window and still have a 4ft pile of snow between our sidewalk & the street. We plan to go Nov 30-Dec 12 this year.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

I've been in July too. HOT & DRY! We agreed (travel buddies) to never go in May again. We love April, June, July, August.......This year we are leaving the frozen tundra just after Thanksgiving and hope we won't be able to go home (at least for a month or two)!!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

Please everyone go in November December January and February. Leave April and May alone. They are terrible rainy months and that's when I like to go, thank you. Have a terrific vacation.

Holliston, MA
Level Contributor
164 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

Of those months, I'd say August, but make it early in August. By mid to late August many restaurants, etc. close. It is very hot, so if you're really into hiking, you might want to consider November. Not sure when things start opening up again.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

July for less rain.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

If you can go in July, do that.

Places start to close in August, and for me, it is too darn hot.

September is prime hurricane season and many restaurants and shops are closed. October is when things start to open back up and November is historically rainy

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

We loved mid July, the snorkeling conditions were excellent.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

We enjoy late October/into November just because it's nice to get out of the beginning of the cold weather in Ohio and into the sunshine. That being said we have run into some rain, however it is usually not an all day affair. Anytime is a good time to visit STJ!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
410 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best month to visit St. John...

We use to always go in September, but the last 2 years we chose October.(Before the rates go up in November). Never had a problem with a hurricane. It's just nice to leave chilly Maryland and have that Caribbean heat hit your face as you exit the plane in Saint Thomas! Get to the ferry as fast as you can, to start your vacation on beautiful Saint John!