We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

We stopped in St Thomas on a cruise and headed over to St John for the day and just fell in love with the island. We have now decided to spend 5 days there for our 20th anniversary. We are reserved at Gallows point (early December) and are trying to decide if we really need to rent a car/jeep. We plan to have dinner in Cruz Bay each night so that is definitely walkable. Just wondering whether we will really need a car for during the day. Part of me says get a car so that we can really explore the full island as this is our first stay there. The other part doesn't like the driving on the left, hairpin turns, and parking challenges.

Is it doable to really enjoy the island and just take taxis everywhere? How early do they typically start running as I have dreams of getting to beaches early and enjoying the beauty without the crowds.

Would love any opinions.

Thanks!

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

yes!…I've only been 1 time and have my second trip planned. I feel that we would have missed out. There are beautiful scenic spots along the road where you can stop. You can also go to the beaches and hiking spots on your time and not wait.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

Are you in STJ for 5 nights? Or five full days?

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

If you go through the forum, there are several threads on whether you need a car or not. Looks like you will be in an ideal spot for getting to Cruz Bay in the evenings, but I have to tell you the same thing all these other threads are telling you - yes, you will be sorry of you don't rent a jeep.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

Yep, rent a Jeep. The island is so fun to explore. I can't imagine going there, and only seeing the things/beaches that are walkable, or accessible by taxi.

north carolina
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

Yes rent a jeep. So much to see.

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

Yes, you will be sorry. So many great destinations that you can't get to by walking or taxis. To truly experience St john you have to spend some time away from Cruz Bay and the 2 big touristy beaches. Also get yourself a copy of Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive to guide you. St John Off the Beaten Path is also great. Enjoy!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

If you have only 5 days (ie: arrive on Monday and leave on Friday), you can just use taxis. If you are coming on Sunday and leaving on Saturday, so you have a full 5 days, I'd get a jeep for 3 days if available. I have always recommended getting a vehicle, but staying in Cruz Bay makes things a little easier. You can hike to Salomon and Honeymoon beaches at Caneel. You can take a taxi to Hawksnest for $5pp each way. Trunk $6.00, Cinnamon $7.00. Taxi's are waiting at Trunk & Cinnamon to take you back to Cruz Bay. It's pretty easy to flag one down at Hawksnest.

We will also be on STJ, staying at Grande Bay, in early December. We have reserved a jeep for most of our stay, but not all because Cruz Bay is so walkable and we don't need one on our first or last day. We do carry-on only and can simply walk from & to the ferry on our travel days.

Send me a PM if you'd like to meet for a drink and hitch a ride to one of the other beaches where getting a taxi back is a bit more difficult.

St. John
Level Contributor
244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

I'm going to take a different stand. I know many couple that come without a jeep and they have a ball! There are a lot of great beaches that taxis go to- I actually saw one all the way down at East End Two days ago. There are great restaurants in Cruz Bay. My disclaimer is rhat before we moved here, we always got a vehicle.

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
648 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

If you want to really SEE the island - get a Jeep. If you are going to go to Honeymoon, Caneel,Trunk, Hawksnest, Cinnamon ...then forget the Jeep and take a taxi.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we be sorry if we do not rent a jeep?

I'd rent one for a day or two. Taxis dont routinely go to the Coral Bay side, and it would be a shame, IMHO, if you didn't explore a bit beyond Cruz Bay and the north shore beaches.