We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

My boyfriend and I are staying on St. John at Cruz Bay hotel for a short 3 night stay. I am not renting a jeep planning on cabbing it. I want to snorkel at the famous Watermelon Cay would we be able to get there by taxi? I know you have to hike to get to the location but how would we make it back taxis are in the area? Thanks for the help:)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

You would need to prearrange with the driver a time to pick you up after waterlemon.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

Agreed - you might get someone to take you there, but there wont be anyone to take you back unless you arrange for it

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

If you get an early start you can take a taxi there and a) arrange for the taxi driver to come back to get you at a prearranged time. b) if you go early and there are multiple cruise ships in STT, you might be able to catch a ride back on one of the safari taxis that take cruise ship tourist to Annaberg Ruins. They will be heading back around 1 or 2pm so passengers can catch the 2 or 3pm ferry back to STT. c) you can hitch hike back. We pick up people whenever we have room. Just start walking and when a car is coming point with your index finger (not your thumb) the direction you want to go. Have fun! (and it's Waterlemon Cay)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

whoops Waterlemon Cay :)

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

Be aware that there can be a strong current there at times. Many peope use a snorkel vest. Ask others there about the current and have a realistic assessment on your conditioning.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

No worries ; )

You might try rent a jeep for just a day if you can find one available. That way you can go to Waterlemon then cruise around and check out more of the island. Head over to Coral Bay, go to Salt Pond & Drunk Bay, stop and have lunch at the Tourist Trap or any of the other beaches and restaurants on that side. Take your camera for the beautiful views along the way.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

We were there last week, and picked up a couple walking down the road...I think "hitch-hiking" is a fairly acceptable and rather safe common practice on St. John. They weren't hitch hiking...we just stopped and asked them if they would like a ride...boy did they! :-)

8. Re: Cruz Bay Area to Watermelon Cay by Taxi????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16