We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random Observations from St. John

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Random Observations from St. John

Even though the' temperature is only about 5 degrees cooler that it is in the summer, it feels AMAZINGLY cooler in March. I actually used the socks I packed this time! What GORGEOUS weather.

What happened to Hansen's Bay Beach??? It's gone!

I think I finally understand the appeal of Salt Pond Beach. It really is an all-day experience, not a beach you just hit to snorkel. If you time it right, it's possible to have at least partial shade on the way down AND on the death march back. And the right side has better snorkeling than the left.

Don't overlook Great Lameshur Bay in your rush to get to its prettier little sister.

The Sun Mountain Fiddler Band is GREAT! And Skinny Legs is just their kind of venue. That bluegrass style cover of "Halleluiah" was really something.

Kiddel Bay is still my favorite snorkel.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random Observations from St. John

Glad you found some good snorkeling. Did you see the huge finger coral formation about 1/2 way out to the point on the right?

Kentwood, Michigan...
Level Contributor
318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random Observations from St. John

I must get to Kiddel, maybe on this next trip.

Glad you got to appreciate Salt Pond. It's an every year beach for me. I love the beach, and the snorkel (although I seem to have better luck on the left side) and the short hike to Drunk Bay.

That trip back up though... it's a killer when you've been baking in the sun all day.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random Observations from St. John

@NewJersey, I saw several at least one very impressive fuzzy pillar formation, if that's what you mean. Actually, I thought I saw 2 or 3 of those, but it might have been the same one from different angles. There was a bit of a current out there and I kept getting blown down to the next beach to the west and had to keep working my way back. Lots of nice fish. I saw some big, colorful parrot fish, a huge scrawled filefish, and a big permit jack (which was our totem fish for this trip - saw them on 3 different beaches).

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random Observations from St. John

Glad you were able to see Dick Solberg play -- he really makes every venue his own - does a great summer tour too.

http://www.sunmountainfiddler.com/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random Observations from St. John

The Pillar coral is tall but this is a large maybe 20' long by 10' wide patch of healthy finger coral which is short and stuby like thousands of pudgy fingers. Anyway it had so many little fish of every color swimming above it, I must have spent quit awhile hovering cause I actually got sunburn on back .

I did not know what this type of coral was till I picked up a book at The Friends of the Park store called "coral reef stars" and there was an example. Apparently there is a healthy amount of it in Mary's Creek . Great photo book and all shot in St John waters.

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Random Observations from St. John

Sharon, glad you and hubs are having a great time from ajax pk? wife and I have been been jan, feb and april (buddy mack and his wife joined us one april) but never march. from what I've been reading on recent post here and on viol, must be the best overall weather though I believe surf was up for you a day or so. mack and I are too cheap for a high season guy trip and wife's unlikely future candidates for another trip so i'll enjoy march on stj vacariously!

hope you come out ok on bumper and have safe trip home.

papabou

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Random Observations from St. John

Always like random thoughts. For your Hansen's Beach question, check this out

newsofstjohn.com/2014/…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Random Observations from St. John

I'm confused, isn't Hansen the beach across from Vie's and owned by her family?

I also don't understand how someone can land grab, like that gas station owner in Cruz Bay that built on someone elses property? It's like the wild west, crazy.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Random Observations from St. John

No, Hansen beach is further down. But your Vie's analogy might be right. My guess is that just as Vie's family owns the land between the beach and the road, the guy who has fenced off Hansen Beach claims he owns the land between that beach and the road. But I'm just guessing. It's a shame - we used that beach every time we went to STJ, and we always enjoyed it. Hopefully there will be a resolution

Edited: 26 March 2014, 14:22
10. Re: Random Observations from St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:15