We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
Level Contributor
84 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

We have never purchased a timeshare so we have a few questions - thanks to all who may chose to assist us!

We are looking to purchase a villa in the Platinum Plus season in either Bay Vista or Upper Hillside. We know upper hillside you book a week and then use it or float it (or sell it etc.) and that Bay Vista is a float.

We are leaning more towards Bay Vista, but Hillside is still an option.

We would initially want a certain week - first choice is the last week in Feb. with a second choice being in late April (until our kids are out of high school - 4 more years). Then we would want to travel whenever we could in the Plat.+ season with the then college kids in tow, if it worked out that their college break during Plat.+ season.

My question - how easy is it to get the actual float week you want in BAY VISTA - given it's not Christmas week, New Years week, or President's Week? For 2013 the Feb. vaca. was 2/23-3/4 and for 2014 the Feb. vaca. was 2/22-3/3.

Also, we've been to STJ 3 times - all in the beginning of July. Westin was busy, but not crazy busy (and the beaches all over the island weren't busy at all). How big of a change will this be at Westin and the island beaches traveling there in February?

SO much thanks!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

I think not only are the crowds completely different in February but so are the wind and wave conditions.

I know after going twice in November and once in July we have decided that july is better for calm, clear snorkeling. Wind and waves start to kick in before christmas and hang around through march or so.

Just something to think about. I'm sure every season on stj has its advantages, but I'd want to know before laying out that money.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

Although you didn't ask, here is my 2 cents on deciding between hillside or Bay Vista. We've stayed in both and much prefer the Hillside Villas. It is much more convenient when packing up to go to the beach, vehicle is right outside the door and the Bay Vista requires walking a ways to the parking area or calling a shuttle to take you to where your car is parked. We also used the grills at the pools quite a bit and the last time we stayed at Bay Vista there was no grill nor was there a small pool to use in the later afternoon after we had returned from the beach.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
50 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

We have a Hillside Villa and absolutely love it. As the previous post, the parking is a big plus. The hillside pools are terrific for the kids in the afternoon. We have never used the grills but checked them out last week for possible use in the future. They are first class grills. And of course, the view is great if you can get a villa with a view of Cruz Bay. Good luck!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

Hi, we own 2 weeks hillside and love it, we'll be making our annual visit in a few weeks, I have to agree, hillside has many advantages over Bay Vista, car parking is a big one! You can go on line and Google Westin Time shares for sale and quite a few come up...........you just have to find your week, I tend not to like a floating week, we have week 18 and 19 and we know each year, we will travel to the Westin those weeks or trade it for other weeks.............just sayin!

5. Re: Westin St. John villa purchase - getting float week you want

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 06:16